Thursday, August 19, 2010

Packing the Car Again


I finished the painting of Hazel, I worked on the eyes a bit, and took another shot today before I packed, since the color was off on the last one.

My car now has a new axle boot, no more chance of grease on the brakes on my way to Boise. Dad took me to drop off my car and brought me back. The guy said 3 hours and then this morning he says this afternoon, my appointment was at 9 am. I said I need it to be 3 hours and he did not seem to care much. Then he calls at 11:30 telling me my car is ready and all about what he did to get it done so soon for me since I was leaving the state. Dad and I figured we better go pick it up right away since the guy got it done so fast and needed me to know what an effort he made, then we went to lunch at 46, that's the name of the restaurant, which happens to be on the 46. Then I ran some last errands and got home and got my period.

Now I did not mention it, but I got my period 2 hours into the drive up here and I thought that just was not fair. This time it is really early and I think it's just not fair again.

So, then I started to pack the car. I packed the computer and the art stuff in the back and it was really hot and I was thinking no way is everything going to fit. I tested the dog crate on the back seat and realized I had to put the crate behind the passenger seat due to where the door is set, so I packed up the other side. It took about 3 hours, but I did get everything packed in that I wanted and have the passenger seat for my cooler and overnight bag and the moving bag with all the papers and chargers and stuff.

Dad offered to help, but I said no, there is just too much packing and unpacking and contemplating when trying to get this much stuff into a small space and I knew I needed to do it myself, but it reminded me of how impatient we used to get with Dad when he packed the car for a vacation, which he usually did himself. Now I get it.

Cruiser and Spit went out on their last stroll for a while and saw turkeys. It was pretty funny, they knew they were birds, but they were way too big. Instead of trying to stalk them they just looked confused. They were pretty upset watching me pack the car. Cruiser cries and Spit hides. I prefer hiding. It was hot and I did not think everything would fit and Cruiser is whining, whining, whining. It reminded me of Dad packing for those family vacations again.

I am off to Boise tomorrow, I hope by 7 am. That gets me in Fernley, Nevada by 3 pm, where it is supposed to be 97 degrees. Shit, I thought northern Nevada would be cooler. Sacramento is even hot, 90 degrees. At least driving through Donner pass will be cool, then an hour of heat to Fernley. Too late to change anything now. Saturday in Boise it is supposed to be 94 degrees. Saturday will be a hot drive, too. I hope my cats will settle down enough in the morning when it is cool that they will not be stressing themselves later when the heat will make it worse, and dangerous for them.

So, I will be off tomorrow early, car packed to the brim, cats crying, listening to the opening piece on Phillip Glass' Glassworks. I love this piece, to me it sounds like anticipation and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment