Monday, August 23, 2010

Neighborhood

This is one neighbor accross the street. Notice the Blue Spruce in front. Dad grew a Colorado Blue Spruce at our house in the San Fernando Valley. Colorado Blue Spruce do not grow in the Valley and Dad babysat that thing, and it did grow, until the new owners chopped it down. I was in Home Depot yesterday, checking out Idaho's plants, and the front was full of Blue Spruce. I think they grow here without babysitting.


This is around the corner and looks like Black Eyed Susan.



Around the corner the opposite way is a main street (for Boise) with a tiny, tiny store called "A Wee Bit 'O Scotland" (I have not yet investigated what this means), then an antique store, then a kitchen parts store (I think they survive on appliance repair), then "JackOns" (the equivalent of 7-11), then this really weird sword and sorcery store that sells incense, which I was happy about. On the opposite side is a bowling alley with a seedy bar (I did not go in, but you know it) and an asian market and Thai food. Then around the corner back to my house, look Frank! Sonic! I'm going there for dinner. Then the pawn shop, it looks like the place to buy a bike or a lawnmower.



Then back to my house past the violin store.


This is the tree in front, I have no idea what it is, but it is really tall and did not budge in the 70 mile an hour winds we just had. When I bought my house in Simi Valley, all I wanted was a house, with no common walls, my own mailbox on the street, and a big street tree. Today I have all 3 again.


An this is my next door neighbor. He is gone this week working some huge Oregon fires. How big do you think that house is? 800 square feet? It does appear to have a fireplace.


So, we just did a 10 minute walk around the block in my neighborhood. Pretty eclectic for what you think of Idaho.

I am now at Starbucks using free internet. It is on the edge of the Boise Town Center, which is a few miles from my house. In a few square blocks is every chain store and restauant you know, from Target to Fridays to PetCo to the mall with Macy's. I don't like it over here, but it is really convenient.

The matress arrived this morning and I am looking forward to a big Sonic hamburger and a good nights sleep. My stuff left storage Sunday and is due Wednesday afternoon. My stuff was the last on, so I should be the 1st stop, but who knows at the rate these guys are going. They were not supposed to take a flat file cabinet, they were supposed to bring it back to Hilford, so Hilford could get rid of it, since I was not there to do it and it was in the back of the unit. Instead, they left it in the unit and Public Storage will not close out the unit with something in it. What a pain. Public Storage has been great, they've told me more about what is going on than the movers.

Tomorrow I should have my own internet and a local phone number. Just in time, I finally used up all my Starbucks gift cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment