Saturday, August 7, 2010

Boise Housing Trip 2


I put in an application for this is house. This is the one close to the city with the good neighbors. It is a row house, with the garage in back and a yard between the garage and the house. This is the only thing I saw that I would rent. I am still waiting for an OK on my application and I am not good at waiting.

I looked at the outside of 10 houses/duplexes and the inside of 3 and I looked at 2 apartments. I looked at one nice duplex in Nampa, and the neighborhood was nice, but the neighbors looked a little tough. The other house I looked at had a great yard, and when I saw the inside the barking dogs I heard the day before were gone, but the inside was a not updated 1930's house and it looked at an office building. The woman that showed me this one was another nice person and told me about First Thursdays, art and music in the city once a month, and says she goes to the September art fair every year and that it is a big deal. I told her I hoped to participate next year.

On my way to Nampa, I experienced rush hour traffic made worse by road construction. I guess every city has this. Nothing beats the sign in the Oakland airport, though, right in the middle of current construction, that said, construction due to be completed in 2008. I also had some bare headed (no helmet, no hair) motorcycle rider swear at me because I did not move over fast enough, even though traffic was merging and he was not giving me much room and I am pretty careful not to cut off motorcyclists. I guess every city has these guys.


When I went to Meridian, I never found the property I was looking for, but stopped to take pictures of horses right in the middle of the main part of town. Note the kid on the horse in back. A few minutes after the picture the horse took off running down the street with the kid on it. I didn't see what caused the horse to take off, but it ran right in front of me and I am still such a city girl that I stayed out of the way.

Both days were hot, 98 degrees was the high, and on Thursday I could smell a forest fire, but I don't know where it was. There were also thunderhead clouds over the hills behind the city. I didn't think there would be monsoons this far north, but these looked like monsoon clouds. I liked monsoon season in Vegas.


The trip was exhausting. I found my best choice and put in my application the first day, but felt obligated to keep looking just in case and because that is why I was there and then didn't see any 2nd choice. I learned how to get around much of Boise, and the street names, and I saw many houses in great neighborhoods I would love that were not for rent. I saw a few houses with for rent signs while I was driving around, but again, nothing I would rent.

I met a girl from Salt Lake on the plane, who explained western snow is different, it's lighter and it makes better snowballs than eastern snow, and she gave me some tips on dealing with cold weather. On the other side of me was a woman my age that worked on her laptop and then read a book. She wasn't unfriendly, but she was closed off in her own bubble, like I used to be.

1 comment:

  1. great trip love the house sure hope they finish the construction by 08'

    ReplyDelete