Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Being Friendly

3 hours and 45 minutes from Dad's to Oakland. I got nervous again for some reason I could not figure out and left early, so I arrived at Oakland Airport before 4 pm. It was a hot drive and I was glad I went on my road trip in May and I need to remember to leave really early in the morning when I leave for Boise. I was nervous, so I did not eat before I left and stopped for trail mix that I ate on the way. This had to last me all day, since I refused to pay $10 for a sandwich in the Oakland Airport. Plane was a little late and I was glad to have my book, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. (Darcy, this is a book for you!)

Water for Elephants is a 90 (or 93) year old guy talking about being 90 and about remembering working as a vet for the circus in 1930. His parents die and the bank takes everything they own and he is so distraught that he jumps a train, that happens to be a circus train, and he finds himself as their vet. I like twists of fate stories that come out right, and I am really hoping for one for myself.

I arrived at the Boise airport at 8:30 pm their time and it was still warm. It reminded me of Summer nights in Vegas and I miss those. I reserved an economy car, but got the smallest car they had left, a Chevy Tahoe, at the economy rate. It is huge! There were going to be no cars left for the 5 people that had reservations at 11 pm, boy am I glad one of those was not me. I then checked into my cheap hotel at the airport. They put me on the 1st floor for 5 minutes, after 5 minutes of listening to someone move furniture over my head I asked for a different room and am now on the 3rd (top) floor.

I went out looking at properties this morning and was mostly disappointed. The best I saw was listed under the relaxed guy's management company, and he is so relaxed that he had the tenant, who is mid-packing, show me the property. She was great and loves the house, it is a 2 story row house very near town and in a really nice neighborhood, you know the old ones with large lots and no sidewalks? The garage is in back with the yard in between the house and the garage, bay windows in front with enough light for me to paint in the 2nd bedroom. It is 1100 square feet, which seemed small, carpet needed cleaning after living with three dogs, and was pretty close to the house like it on one side. Guess they don't have a problem with pets.

I really liked the tenant, she described the neighborhood and neighbors, many are from San Luis Obisbo, go figure, including the ones next door. This would be a good choice for good neighbors, one waived at me as I drove by. The tenant is from Southern Idaho, lived in Washington DC for 10 years, loves Boise, just bought a house, and works from home, so she knew about daytime noise. She doesn't know it, but she is my new best friend in Boise. So, I spent the afternoon completing the application for this property and sending my application fee. I said I was self-employed. Next, the momment of truth.

I had an appointment to see something tomorrow, but when I walked up to it this morning, three dogs barked right through their owner yelling at them. No thanks. Next is a place in Nampa, it seemed too far from Boise and the neighborhoods were really spotty, the neighborhood for this one had 2 for sale on one cul-de-sac and mixed looking houses, but it backs up against a forest of trees, no backyard neighbor. I may go see this one later, now I can get in because I have a code, as long as I'm here. The property rep for this one at least has some sense of urgency, although I cannot call her after 4 pm, because she is playing golf.

I actually ate lunch, the counter guy asked me what I was doing today and turns out he is from Orange County and loves it here. Do you like the outdoors? he says.

People here are very friendly, and I am surprisingly friendly back.

No comments:

Post a Comment