Thursday, September 9, 2010

SCORE

On Tuesday I started to get worried. Probably because I was sleepy and because I was disappointed that I missed the deadline for the Boise Museum and Idaho wasn't calling me for a 2nd interview. The idea of being able to be a full time painter seemed far-fetched and crazy and I am going through money too fast.

First thing Wednesday morning, Idaho Health and Welfare called for a 2nd interview, that is this afternoon. Then I started worrying about being able to be a painter and continue what I want to do with that while working full time. It's always something with me.

At least I did not brood on it yesterday, probably because I wasn't sleepy. I also had my appointment with SCORE, which was a good practical start, but not the connection that I had hoped. I have work to do, licenses and such, and a business plan and a proposal to write, then I think I will go back and see someone else. The councilor gave me a great deal of practical information about starting a business in Idaho and I have a brochure and a website and it seems pretty easy and fees are low. I learned the tax advantages of having an LLC and that only costs me $75 more ($100) than an individual proprietorship and a fictitious business name is included. The sales tax and use permit is also free and maybe I can finally take advantage of not paying sales tax on my materials. There are no local permits that I need. The councilor gave me some advice about staying focused on a few directions, but not just one, and how long it might take to be profitable. I also need to set up some business records in Excel, including an inventory list. I am going to the Boise Art Fair this weekend, so I can ask people what they are doing and get some names and numbers, before I jump in to this stuff.

Idaho seems much more business friendly than California, but that's not hard to be.

The interview includes a test. I started it before I went to my appointment and came home and finished it last night. It wasn't hard, but I wanted it to be well thought out and I have to present something, so it took a few hours. I'm not sure if they are looking at my writing, or my thought processes, or my presentation abilities, so I covered all 3.

It rained yesterday and then cleared up in the afternoon for one of those spectacular sunsets and it looks like it is going to do that again today. If it does I am hoping to get a picture, since yesterday I was busy writing. I hope it is not raining for my interview, it is hard not to look rumpled in a suit with a raincoat after you walk through the rain, and I do not have the right shoes, but then I never have the right shoes.

Today's enlightenment topic is perfect for today, Boldness/Action with a passage called Lose This Day Loitering from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,

Lose this day loitering - 'twill be the same story
To-morrow - and the next more dilatory;
Each indecision brings its own delays,
And days are lost lamenting o'er lost days,

Are you in earnest? seize this very minute -
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
Only engage, and then the mind grows heated -
Begin it, and then the work will be completed!

Seize the day, just do it, don't procrastinate. I like to start things, like a painting, first thing in the morning, before I have too much time to think about it. Too much thinking leads me to procrastination and doubt. I reviewed two websites to buy art supplies over the weekend and found what I wanted but worried about spending the money. Dick Blick was having a sale, so I finally ordered what I wanted on Monday and found out the sale ended Sunday. Waiting cost me $15. I seem to have lost some of the boldness that got me here.

Oh well, one day at a time, today is a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment