Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Big Game

On Saturday, Boise hosted one of the largest women's 5K events in the nation, ESPN, and the Boise State versus Oregon State football game. The set up and the crowds started on Friday night and downtown was nowhere you wanted to be on Saturday, unless you were running in the 5K, playing in the football game, or already parked in the Boise State University parking lot. A woman at the workshop was late because she was busy painting her husband's upper torso with BSU colors. I went to my workshop and then went home and stayed home. I think I was the only person in the neighborhood at home and it was quiet, quiet, quiet.

BSU beat Oregon State 37-24. I only watched parts of the game and I actually missed the end because I was watching John Stossel. I did watch part of the interview with coach Chris Petersen, he seems like a regular guy, and he looked relieved that the hype was over and they could just get back to playing football.

According to the Sunday paper, now is time for the best selection and prices on buffalo. Right there in the everyday grocery store, Fred Meyer. I must be in Idaho. I guess you can use it in place of beef and it cooks faster. Nope, no buffalo for me, thanks anyway.

It is hot here, in the upper 80s all week, and I am enjoying it, especially since I know it isn't going to last. It still cools off in the evenings and the poor cats are confused. Do I shed or not? I'm taking a brush-full off of them every night.

Since I rejected the last enlightenment topic, I better move on to something I can meditate on for a while. The next topic is Nonconformity with a passage from Walden by Henry David Thoreau,

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

The author talks about those two voices, the one that tells you to follow your dreams and the one that tells you to be practical and like everyone else and that you are being foolish and selfish. Hey, I hear those voices all the time! I am not crazy, I just march to a different drummer. Right now I feel a bit like that music is far away, though, I just can't quite catch the beat and I am feeling a bit unfocused. I often try to keep one foot on each side of the fence, the conformist and the nonconformist side, without doing either one very well. Maybe it's time to listen more closely to the music I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment