Friday, September 17, 2010

Imagination

So I went to pick up the dry cleaning yesterday and I was so preoccupied with how much it was going to cost that I did not notice how much it did cost. They overcharged me, based on their price list, by more than $6, so now I get to go back and argue for a refund.

I went through the studio closet and consolidated some book boxes so I would have more room and pulled out my children's books so I can refer to them when I do my own. I still have too many books. I finally hung some of the old family photos to get them off the floor, although I put half back in the box and away. I have too many old photos, too. I went through the box with my old work stuff and found a sample I can add to my portfolio and take on my interview. If I get a job with Idaho Health and Welfare, I can throw most of this box away.

I took some time and did some cooking yesterday. I tend not to eat if it requires too much preparation, so I like to make a bunch of something that I can reheat. Starting my food supply over from scratch has been hard, I did not realize how much I took for granted that I had on hand, and I keep thinking I will make something and then I am missing an ingredient.

I reviewed a bit for my interview, including reviewing my answers to their questions on the application, and tried to remember some examples of my successes. The last interview included more "who are you as a person" questions, but this is another manager, so I want to be ready for program questions if they ask them. To the interviews I always take my portfolio, which in this case is a nice 3 ring binder with my reviews, achievement certificates, trainings I wrote and other examples of my work. Even if they do not want to see the examples, I have them with me to remember stuff to talk about.

The mattress box spring came. The same guy came and delivered it and immediately pinched his finger when setting up the bed frame. I doctored his finger and got him a band-aid, but the rest of the set up he worked mostly one-handed so he would not bleed on my new mattress. That's why I hate those bed frames, they can be dangerous suckers. Both cats were still under the quilt on the bed when we set up the frame. Boy were they surprised when I uncovered them so we could stand up the mattress. Now that they can get under the bed, we'll see if they still prefer under the quilt. I like having the mattress off the floor, it makes me feel normal, and I think I woke up less stuffy this morning.

Some enlightenment is probably a good idea before my interview. The next topic is Imagination, with a poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge,

What if you slept?
And what if,
In your sleep
You dreamed?
And what if,
In your dream,
You went to heaven
And there plucked a strange and beautiful flower?
And what if,
When you awoke,
You had that flower in your hand
Ah, what then?

The book's author leaves off "Ah, what then?" I wonder why. It is included in every other copy of the poem that I could find on-line. Is this poem about imagination? Or is it about being in reality the beautiful flower you are in your dreams? Or about heaven (or God) being real even if you cannot hold it in your hand and see it? I find my best ideas come right before I fall asleep at night, although last night I was thinking about why people sleep up off the ground, like to stay above snakes and bugs and mice. Sometimes it is not a good idea to bring your imagination into reality. What if I awoke and had that mouse in my hand? I have enough trouble with my vivid imagination, so I think I will stay with my spiritual interpretation, the beauty that I dream of can be real.

No comments:

Post a Comment