Monday, September 13, 2010

Boise Art Fair

Cutting the very tall, wet grass came out as a bit of a hack job, but the cats don't seem to mind.


The Boise Art fair was super crowded and half of the people there brought their dogs. One guy had 2 giant sheepdogs. If I was a vendor I would have been annoyed, how can anyone else be in your booth when a guy and his 2 sheepdogs are there? I don't usually do these art fair things, so I do not have much to compare it to, but it really was huge. Some of the artist's proceeds go to the Boise Art Museum and the artists I asked said they sell really well there. I did not see much original art and I saw a lot of mediocre crafty stuff, but I bet that is typical.

When I was there they had two kid bands playing, the 2nd was even younger than the 1st. They played typical rock music and were hilarious. I didn't notice until I looked at my photos, but the Indian looking guitarist gets more and more pissed off at the lead singer as they play.




I took some shots of booths so I could remember how people set theirs up if I wanted to do my own. I also took a shot of the bad watercolorist and the decent landscape painter. The decent landscape painter was really unfriendly. I asked her for a card, told her I was a watercolor painter and new to Boise, asked her if I could call her for some information, and she blew me off as not a buyer and told me to send her an email. Her landscapes were nice, but she is branching off into adding figures, which really sucked. http://www.sherricarterart.com/
She missed out on a friend who could have taught her how to paint figures. Her loss, but after that and a few hours of heavy crowds, I got depressed and left soon after.



I did buy some cards by Ward Hooper, http://wardhooper.com/.
Beware, his site is the worst to navigate that I have ever seen, the site seems to have a mind of its own. The guy is really prolific and I think everything in the booth was his, from cards to posters. I bet the guy is cranking these out in Illustrator. The booth was big and really busy. I liked the old Sunset magazine graphic look.



I did go back on Sunday morning and buy some small crystalline porcelain vases. I liked the technique and the small vases were reasonably priced. The picture is of the technique, the ones I bought were royal blue on ocher and white on white. They guy was really harassed on Sunday morning and I had trouble finding his booth because he was not set up. He said some sales guys set up right in front of his booth all Saturday afternoon and no one could get to him and he had a series of mishaps Sunday morning, but he was still interested that I was a painter and took my card. He must not be doing very well, since he appears to have had a website that is now shut down.


I finished a study and am on to another one today.

No comments:

Post a Comment