Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Green Tomatoes

These are my next door neighbor's tomatoes.


Things did not ripen here due to Summer's late start. Now that it is almost Fall, I think my neighbor is going to have to find a recipe for fried green tomatoes. Not even a touch of red going on here.

Another one of my neighbors caught me outside and introduced herself. Her name is Sam, which has nothing to do with her real name, and she is the one who waved at me while mowing the lawn where I was here to look at the place the first time.

My cats appear to miss dirt. The house they grew up in had a backyard of dirt. The previous owner had an above ground pool, which I had moved out as soon as I moved in, but I never got around to replacing the sandy dirt that was left. There was grass in the front, but I always felt bad that I never got to grass in back. Dad's had lots of dirt. Cruiser would roll in it until he was covered in dust and Spit would search for a spot without too much gravel and do this tumbling thing she does until she was covered, too.

So, there were two cement stepping stones on the patio covering a vent to the crawl space for some reason and I used them at the base of the side gate to keep the cats from crawling under. When I moved them, there was a dirt spot left on the patio. When I let the cats out, they both head for that spot of dirt and roll all over it. A whole yard of lovely soft green grass and they like the dirt. I guess we all have our familiar things we miss.

I started another study yesterday and then went out to buy some mats for the studies I finished. I ordered some, which came and were also the wrong opening size. I went to Aaron Brothers and had an argument with the salesperson. If I custom order mats, she could not guarantee that the opening would be 5" x 7" that I requested because I would need some room around the outside edge to attach my photo. I am a professional! I am not matting a photo! Are you telling me that if I custom order something that you are not going to complete the order as I specify? I left before steam started to blow out of my ears.

Then I went to Fast Frame. They were much better and not only half the price, but she gave me a volume discount. I explained my issue and she said the same thing, my 5" x 7" picture will fall out of the 5" x 7" mat. I explained it is a 5" x 7" painting on a page that is bigger than 5" x 7". The salesperson repeated before I left, 5" x 7" means 5" x 7". Good girl.

The rest of the day I did not feel well and I worked on my study and some chores, but otherwise did not get much done. Either the dry air or my allergies are getting to me and I am trying to remember how long it took me to adjust to Vegas.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better. You are doing an amazing thing there and I figure that the assimilation to a new environment takes quite a bit of time. I love that your cats are happy and that they have eachother. I too, love the sun and dirt. Lol. I think about you all the time and look forward to your posts each day. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and get that green fried potato thing going. I don't know if you have had them before but they are absolutely delicious!!! My Dad's family has tomato farms in Indiana and make many fixin's with tomatos and fried green tomatos are among the best.

    ReplyDelete