Monday, September 6, 2010

Karaoke

Gee, I was going to take Labor Day off from blogging, but now I am awake against my will. I wish Mad Men was on, hey maybe it is.

It has been a funky Sunday and Monday, I think I feel in-between lives. I start something, get distracted, try to get something done and then have the wrong part, can't find the place, it went on and on. I checked the furnace filter, honestly because it was cold this morning, and there are two pieces of that stuff you cut to fit, except neither fits. So, I go to Home Depot, with a list of other stuff, too, buy a filter, it doesn't fit, so I check on line and the filter came with the furnace and you are supposed to clean it, not replace it. That filter appears to be long gone.

Then I decide to print some of my work to take to my SCORE appointment and I need printer ink and Target is completely out. I checked printer ink out the last time I was at CostCo and they had some that they said lasts twice as long for twice the price and I thought that was a con, so I didn't buy it.

I went to cook some of the fish that I bought at CostCo, Mahi Mahi, and the stove is missing the broiler pan. I already fixed that drawer thing at the base of the stove because it was not on it's track, it was just kind of laying on the floor, so I know it's not in there. So I look at Target for a broiler pan and they only have an expensive enameled one. I seasoned the fish and fried it in a pan on the stove and it wasn't too bad, but I need to be able to broil.

The neighbor behind me started playing music on his outdoor speakers at 9:30 am this morning, which was another reason for the errands, still going when I got back, so I went for a walk. If I walk from my house away from the main street and through the neighborhoods, it takes me to a walking path to the parks. I heard about it, but today I went to check it out. I got home and it was past time for the Boise State football game to start, and this is now what is going on the outdoor speakers, except now it is a party with screaming kids and hooting fans.

So, since it was practically already on in my house, I watched parts of the Boise State versus Virginia Tech game. Virginia Tech has the most gaudy, loud, busy, ugly uniforms I have ever seen, all the way down to red-orange shoes with black socks. Boise State was winning 17-0 by the end of the 1st quarter, lost their lead by the 4th quarter, and then came back with a touchdown in the last minutes of the game to win it. I don't care for football, but that was a good game.

I heard if you live in Idaho, you have to be a Boise State fan, and something about Boise State football is on the cover of every sports section in the Idaho Statesman newspaper. There is some controversy and I am still not sure what it is, but this is from Wikipedia,

The Boise State Broncos football program represents Boise State University in the Western Athletic Conference. In June 2010, it was announced that the Broncos will join the Mountain West Conference for the 2011 season. The program is best known for its 2006 season, in which it posted a 13–0 WAC Championship season capped by an overtime win in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl against the Oklahoma Sooners. The 2009 season, capped off with a win over the previously unbeaten TCU Horned Frogs in the 2010 Fiesta Bowl, saw the Broncos become the second team in major-college history to finish a season at 14–0. It is also well known for the blue turf of Bronco Stadium, first installed in 1986, which some have nicknamed "The Smurf Turf". In 2010, Boise State achieved their highest preseason ranking in history as the Associated Press ranked the Broncos as the 3rd best team in the country.

So, games over, but the party is not. Just after 10, the speakers finally go off and I take my earplugs out and get a few minutes of peace. Then the karaoke starts. Very, very loud, very, very bad singing. My bedroom faces this horror, so from my window I tried yelling that they sucked. I tried howling. Not even a pause.

I moved to Boise for a quieter life, and this does not include karaoke behind my house at 11 pm, but I don't need to be calling the police and making a noise complaint after being here for only two weeks. By now it is after 11 pm. I look up the number and I call the non-emergency one. I get someone who says, you mean like karaoke?! She sounds mortified. Then she says someone has already complained and the officer should be there about now. I was so grateful that at least one of my neighbors complained first, I always seem to be the only one complaining about something that I am amazed anyone could tolerate.

It's quiet. Safe to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment