Saturday, May 28, 2011

Spring Feels Like It Will Last Forever

With the new job I almost forgot to do my homework for the Artist's Way. We met last Thursday and I did my reading on Wednesday night and my homework in my car on my lunch hour on Thursday. It was a great chapter and a great meeting. I thought it was too bad that I read the chapter so late, because the beginning is all about trying to live your life like other people want you to and then not being able to do it and feeling angry, which really spoke to me. We laughed so hard that I cried at our meeting and we came up with so many great country song and book titles that I finally had to write them down. It was sad to think that we are almost done, the next meeting is on the last chapter, Week 12.

The week at work got easier. I know how to do more on my own and by Friday I was busier. I am now in charge of the temperature in the office. When people complain they now complain to me. There are about 14 thermostats and I have a color coded map of what thermostat controls what offices. In one area, the person with the thermostat in their office runs a heater, heating up their office and kicking on the air conditioning in everyone else's office, so they are cold. The explanation of how to program the thermostat unveiled as I worked on the temperature all day on Thursday, causing me a great deal of irritation and leading me to believe that someone likes keeping this as an ongoing, unsolvable problem. They do not know that I like a challenge.

Friday morning I went to work and it was cool and cloudy, but not raining. On my morning break it was raining. On my lunch hour it was sunny and warm and I was hot going to Starbucks in my jacket. On my afternoon break it was pouring. When I left work it was clear again. That is Idaho, but it makes it hard to figure out what to wear to work.

They say it is OK to plant in Boise when there is no more snow on some peak, I can't remember the name. There was still snow on that peak two weeks ago, but people were telling me it is still OK to plant. When it rained last Friday, that peak was all covered with snow again. It is almost June! I decided to plant this weekend anyway.

I bought my vegetables to plant today. I bought snap peas, strawberries, cucumber, green peppers, and jalapenos, mostly because that is what they had. You have to plant too many strawberry plants to get a decent amount of strawberries, but I thought I would try them anyway. I also bought a geranium, which is an annual here. The blueberry in the ground is growing much better than the blueberry in the pot, and since I have a job and I get to stay here, I put the potted blueberry in the ground next to the other one and I am going to use the pot for the geranium. I put the compost on the bottom of my planter (pee-yew!), covered it with some of the ground dirt left from planting the blueberry, then covered that with some potting soil, and ran out of potting soil just as it started to rain again.

While searching for the name of that peak I came upon someone's pictures of Boise taken in May 2007. This is probably what Boise looks like in a normal May, instead of one where spring feels like it will last forever,

http://www.city-data.com/forum/boise-area/116134-boise-both-sides-mountains-trees-more.html

It might clear up enough for me to go on a mini-road trip on Monday. Why is Memorial Day weekend weather always so bad? Everyone plans a barbecue thinking it is the beginning of summer and it is not, it is still spring. As a kid we often went to the beach, where most of the time Memorial Day signals the beginning of June gloom.

In another month it should be super hot here and everyone is looking forward to it, but also saying that then we will all be complaining about the heat. Not me! I love the heat. I might be complaining about having to go to work, though. After having the summer off for the first sixteen years of my life, I never seem to get used to having to work during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment