Saturday, May 14, 2011

Here Comes the Sun!

It has been close to or above 80 degrees since Wednesday. Either the heat or the job starting on Monday has inspired an incredible laziness in me. I kept thinking I should take advantage of my last few days of not working, but I seem to want to take advantage by not doing much of anything.

My neighbor's backyard tree was a big puff ball of white flowers a few weeks ago, but last weekend all the petals started to drop and it looked like it was snowing again, and today the flowers are all gone. Two days of warm weather also did in the tulips, the few that are left are just wilted.

This morning it felt like summer in Michigan, it was hot, but with the clouds and humidity of a coming thunderstorm. It did not finally rain until early evening, but thunderstorms are due to continue for a few days and the temperature drops 20 degrees tomorrow. The thunderclouds are spectacular to see and it would have been a good day to go to Bruneau Dunes, but I was afraid of coming back in the thunderstorm.

I drive by the trees with these flowers every day and I finally got out at the right time of day and took pictures,



After taking pictures for a few minutes, my eyes started to water like crazy and they did not stop until I left, so whatever kind of tree this is, it either has toxic fumes or I am allergic to it.

Last Thursday was my AA bithday. I am 7 years sober. On Tuesday May 11th 2004, I walked in to my third meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous and was warmly greeted by someone that changed my life. I had been drinking that entire day, but that night I chose the next day, May 12th to be my sobriety date, and I have not had a drink since. My sobriety has been hard and there are many times that I said, I did not get sober for this! Every year my birthday message has been that you can stay sober through anything, through letting go of houses, people that you love, credit, half of your possessions, shopping, TV, and even going to a job that you hate for more than five years. I got better and better, but the outside of my life just kept getting worse. This year I thought I was going to have the same message (add moving to a place you thought would be good for your spirit, being unemployed for almost a year, spending all of your retirement, and maybe having to move back home with your parent) and I was a bit pissed off about it, until I got that job. Besides being relieved at having a job, I was pleased to finally get to say how great my life is today. This has been the best year of my life.

My brother John says that you better like yourself, because that is the only person with whom you have to spend your entire life. It was so great to move and change my life into something that I wanted and take myself with me, rather than thinking that a different environment would make me different. I've done that lots of times and it didn't work.

Anyway, it is so much easier to see how my experience can benefit others when I am not wondering how I will pay my rent next month and thinking that moving to Idaho was a crazy, irresponsible idea.

In honor of my birthday, I have video and lyrics. I've been listening to Richie Havens since Wednesday, and these are my two favorites. Richie Havens' version of "Here Comes the Sun" is one of the best covers ever done, and I think it is better than the Beatles' version. I could not find decent video for "Follow", so I just have the lyrics, which are awesome.



"Follow" by Richie Havens
Words by Jerry Merrick

Let the river rock you like a cradle
Climb to the treetops, child, if you’re able
Let your hands tie a knot across the table.
Come and touch the things you cannot feel.
And close your fingertips and fly where I can’t hold you
Let the sun-rain fall and let the dewy clouds enfold you
And maybe you can sing to me the words I just told you,
If all the things you feel ain’t what they seem.
And don’t mind me 'cos I ain't nothin' but a dream.

The mocking bird sings each different song
Each song has wings - they won’t stay long.
Do those who hear think he's doing wrong?
While the church bell tolls its one-note song
And the school bell is tinkling to the throng.
Come here where your ears cannot hear.
And close your eyes, child, and listen to what I’ll tell you
Follow in the darkest night the sounds that may impel you
And the song that I am singing may disturb or serve to quell you
If all the sounds you hear ain’t what they seem,
Then don’t mind me ‘cos I ain’t nothin’ but a dream.

The rising smell of fresh-cut grass,
Smothered cities choke and yell with fuming gas;
I hold some grapes up to the sun
And their flavour breaks upon my tongue.
With eager tongues we taste our strife
And fill our lungs with seas of life.
Come taste and smell the waters of our time.
And close your lips, child, so softly I might kiss you,
Let your flower perfume out and let the winds caress you.
As I walk on through the garden, I am hoping I don’t miss you
If all the things you taste ain’t what they seem,
Then don’t mind me ‘cos I ain’t nothin’ but a dream.

The sun and moon both are right,
And we’ll see them soon through days of night
But now silver leaves on mirrors bring delight.
And the colours of your eyes are fiery bright,
While darkness blinds the skies with all its light.
Come see where your eyes cannot see.
And close your eyes, child, and look at what I’ll show you;
Let your mind go reeling out and let the breezes blow you,
Then maybe, when we meet, suddenly I will know you.
If all the things you see ain't what they seem,
Then don’t mind me ‘cos I ain’t nothin’ but a dream .
And you can follow; And you can follow; follow…

No comments:

Post a Comment