Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

This was hanging on a banner in the Egyptian Theater (sorry, I could only find it as an image),


The piece is by Anthony Doerr, who's short fiction has won three O. Henry Prizes, among other awards, and he was the official State of Idaho Writer-in-Residence for three years ending June 2010. He lives right here in Boise.

Happy Mother's Day!

Friday was gloomy, so I did not go to the botanical garden. I went to the Eagle gallery, but I did not stay long. Some watercolor artist came up to me when I first got there and tried to give me a flier for her commission work of children. She was pushy and I was annoyed. Maybe I was annoyed because I thought that was what I should be doing. I watched Dwight Williams do watercolor demos and talked to him for a while, it cracks me up how much he tells stories like Dad.

It started to rain a warm Spring rain on my way home from the gallery, but it stopped early and I let the cats out after dark. I think when I watch them pounce across the yard they are trying to catch worms. Spit did finally grab one up with her paw, look at it, and then try to shake it off. The cats loved to catch lizards at the Simi house, I figure worms are the next best thing.

Now that it is warmer the world's loudest frogs are out. You would think they are giants and right outside the door by the sound of them. Too bad they are not in my yard, Spit would love a pet frog.

Yesterday I set up the Wacom tablet. (That is a drawing tablet that you plug in to your computer and draw on the computer using a pen, rather than a mouse.) I have not used it in years and when I installed it on my last computer, the computer crashed, so I was stalling on attaching it to my new one. I downloaded the latest drivers on-line before I attached the tablet and it works just great, no crashing.

Today I finished another landscape,


I have not felt very motivated to paint and I had to force myself work on this one yesterday until I started to like it.

Yesterday afternoon I went over to Sarah and Joe's to watch the Kentucky Derby. All the women were wearing hats, except me, and Joe was wearing a suit. If I go next year I will have to get a Derby hat. Sarah made Derby food, including a dip with pimentos. I can't remember the last time I saw pimentos, what are pimentos, anyway? She also had mint juleps, but I had iced tea.

This afternoon, Sarah and I went to see the play "Always, Patsy Cline", which was super fun. The show is based on a true story about Cline’s friendship with a fan from Houston named Louise Seger, who befriended the star in a Texas honky-tonk in l961, and continued a correspondence with Cline until her death. It includes only two actresses and two guys that make up the band. One actress plays Patsy Cline and she sang many songs that I know, and a few that I did not. The other actress plays Louise Seger, who in this case was a short, round, loud, Texan single mom. I forgot how young Patsy Cline was when she died.

I was hesitant to plan to go to a play on a Sunday afternoon now that the weather is warming up, but it was raining today until after the play and a good day to be indoors. Boise is not like So Cal where one beautiful day follows another and if you don't go out in it today, it will be nice again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment