Sunday, May 15, 2011

Baby Geese and Ducks!

The sun rose this morning and lit up the trees against a dark gray sky, but that was it for the sun today. It is raining and back to temperatures in the 60s. I think these are lilacs and they are all over town in shades of purple and pink,


I tried to go to see art at the Linen Building again this morning, and again there was nothing there. It is is listed in the Weekly every week, but is supposed to be the 3rd Sunday of the month, isn't this the 3rd Sunday of the month? I give up. As a reward for my effort, I noticed baby geese in Ann Morrison Park on my way home, so I pulled in to Katherine Albertson Park across the street to check. Once I go in to Ann Morrison Park in my car, I have to go all the way through the park to get out, and Katherine Albertson Park is less crowded with no dogs allowed through June. There were baby geese and ducks everywhere!

These have to be just hatched, there were two groups here, a couple with five chicks and what looked like dad taking one chick for a stroll while mom sat on the rest of the eggs. I thought that it was funny that even baby geese have feet that are too big for their body.




Then I came around the corner to a sea of geese with chicks that look like teenagers,



The sea of baby geese proceeded across the park supervised by a few grownups and then spilled in to an opening in the thicket and disappeared. The lunchtime stroll must have been over and it was time for the teenagers to have a nap.

Then it started to rain really hard and I came up on the duck family,





Even the tiny little ones move super fast. Trying to get pictures in the pouring rain while standing under a tree and pulling the camera out from under my jacket was a challenge, but of all baby animals, I think baby geese are the cutest. I am amazed this is less than a mile from my house and because of the rain, I was almost the only person there.

Cruiser and Spit have been enjoying breakfast and lunch every day for almost a year. They can't wait for dinner, and I have been feeding them lunch instead because I can't stand to hear them whine about it. They are back to breakfast and dinner tomorrow and they are not going to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment