Monday, May 30, 2011

Idaho in the News

It is three-quarters clear sky this morning and both cats are all over me. I feel cooped up and I am about to get out of the house and go hike Bruneau Dunes. We'll see if I can still hike 5.9 miles, which is the length of their main loop.

Yesterday Cruiser thought I should get up early, had his breakfast, and then promptly went down for a nap. Thanks, Cruiser. It was one of those days where it looked like it was about to rain all day, which doesn't seem to happen that much here, if it is going to rain it just does.

Since Cruiser got me up early, I went to buy the dirt to finish my vegetable planting.



I over-planted the first planter, but who knows if everything will grow. I did not realize how big the cucumber is supposed to get and it could probably use half of the planter by itself, but maybe by that time the strawberries will be done. I made the bamboo trellis on the second planter for the beans and I have more sticks if I need to make it bigger. Why do they stain those sticks green? My hands were green when I finished. I used fishing line to tie it together and to attach the trellis to the back of the planter. Fishing line is a useful item up there with duct tape. It is wet in the picture because I watered and hosed off the patio. After planting, I mowed the backyard lawn and it finally started to rain just when I finished. The lawn was tall and damp and hell to mow.

A hit play now on off-Broadway is set in Boise and was written by a guy from Moscow, Idaho. It is called "A Bright New Boise" and is about a son and his estranged father, who leads an end-times church. Apparently, no one in New York can pronounce Boise. That is boy-see, not boy-zee, and not b'was. There is no emphasis on the boy or on the see, they are emphasized the same. I still have to think about it when I pronounce it, since I have that persistent Valley Girl with remnants of my parent's Indiana accent.

Today is the Indy 500. Dad used to watch it, since he is from Indianapolis, although I would not really say watch it, it was just on, does anyone really watch the Indy 500? It is super boring until the end. The oldest driver in the field, Davey Hamilton, who is almost as old as me, is from Nampa, Idaho. The sentimental favorite is a woman who burned both her hands in a practice race last week when she crashed. She is still racing today, with both hands bandaged.

I stayed up to watch "The Killing" last night, but they did not repeat last week's episode on Sunday morning like they have since it started, so I missed an episode and I was irritated. I will not be able to stay up and watch next Sunday and will probably have to rent it in order to see the end. This makes me just about done with cable TV. I watched the Kentucky Derby at my neighbors on their nice 32" flat screen TV with an HD antenna and no cable. Boy, have antennas really changed. I would like to have that by the time my cable commitment runs out later this year. I can get rid of cable and join Netflix, since I can't watch the only things I really watch on TV anyway, and get rid of that monster size TV that I've been hauling around from house to house and across the country.

Ah, more blue sky, time to get out and away from the computer and the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment