Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Record Snow and Bread

Last night it snowed six inches and it is still snowing. This appears to be a record. The average snowfall for Boise for December is 5.8 inches, so we are past average on the 1st day! I think my neighbor Joe shoveled my walkway for me this morning and by the look of my walkway now it looks like it snowed another two inches since he shoveled. Spit is so upset she spent the entire morning under the covers.

Since I am not going out in more than eight inches of snow, I decided to bake some bread. I finished the dough and set it for its first rise and then realized I only have one loaf pan and I need two. So, I set out to walk to the store. Fred Meyer is only a mile away and bread pans are not heavy. No way I was going to try to drive in that much new snow. I did not realize how much of my walk would be uncleared snow, meaning I am walking through eight inch snow drifts, and sometimes I thought I should have worn my snowshoes. The residential streets were barely cleared and I tried to walk in the tire tracks, but the main road was thick slush and I wanted to stay as far away from sliding cars as I could.

By the time I got back, my jeans were soaked past my ankles and when I took off my boots, out dumped a bunch of snow that gathered around the top of my boots and folds of my jeans. I readied the bread for it's second rise and shoveled a path through my back patio. It is super light, so you don't really shovel it, you more like push it to the side. I'm using my garden shovel with the flat edge. Now I can imagine the origin of snowmen, it's something to do with that pile of snow you shoveled off the walkway.






Yesterday it started to snow in the morning, so I went to the mall to finish my Christmas shopping. It was snowing pretty light yesterday, but I did not finish and I'm wondering when I will be able to go out again. I am supposed to go out to Eagle Thursday night and by then it might be raining. I would rather that it be snowing, rain and snow mixed together will be a mess.


The bread came out well. It is James Beard's cheese bread. If it tastes good, I will give one loaf to Joe for shoveling my walkway.

No comments:

Post a Comment