Sunday, December 5, 2010

Living with Snow

This is my hat/coat/gloves/scarfs set up,


The red coat is one of my Christmas presents from Mom.

It is some kind of rule that if you set down your boots for the snow to melt off and then move them, you will eventually step in the cold puddle left behind. It doesn't matter where you set them.

I shoveled my back driveway, which is not very long. Underneath the few inches of snow was a layer of ice. I also shoveled a path from my back patio to the garage.





The last two pictures are of the alley I have to negotiate in order to drive out of my garage. My garage is last, so no one drives to the left, including me. I go to the right, which is at least a little chopped up by my neighbor's cars. There is a dip in the road where the alley meets the street and I can't stop in the alley or I will get stuck, so I try to drive slow, speed up before the dip, and turn on to the road. This is easier when there are no cars parked on the road, but on a weekday there are several parked on each side and if I go fast enough to get through the dip, I usually slide a bit into the street and imagine myself sliding into one of the parked cars. It's a regular dilemma, do I want to be stuck in the snow or slide into a parked car?

This is the Boise Bed and Breakfast, The Heritage Inn, last Sunday when the sun was out and it was still pretty,


It rained some more all day Friday and I did not go to Eagle again. I figured if I did not want to drive in the mess, no one else would be driving to go to a First Friday either, and if I went through an ordeal to get there I would be really pissed that no one showed up and it was a waste of time. Then yesterday it snowed for most of the day. I was supposed to meet someone in town, which was good since if I wasn't I probably would have stayed home. I left early in case I got stuck in the alley, which I did not, so I had time to walk around the Farmer's Market and get some coffee before I met Christelle.

Most of the vendors were at the Farmer's Market, people heartier than me. There was a new guy selling Christmas trees, which I stopped just to smell. I heard it was a good year for trees and they must not come from very far here and they just smelled awesome.

Cruiser darted out the front door when I went out to turn on the Christmas lights on Friday night, so I let both cats go out in the front yard. They are making me a bit crazy, like being cooped up with two bored kids. The front yard is still full of snow, so both cats can walk around the front porch and walkway, but they can't go far because they will not walk in the snow. Spit stands on the walkway with her feet on the cement and her nose stretched out over the snow as far as it will go as if she can smell more that way and both cats explored every inch that was not covered in snow. Spit wanted to go next door and find those next door cats that get to go outside all the time, but there was just too much snow in the way.

I saw a coyote walking around downtown when I drove home Friday afternoon and the dope in front of me slammed on the brakes in the ice and snow to look. The brakes made sure that I saw the coyote, but even I would not have slammed on my brakes for her, she wasn't even headed our way. This one appears to have been wandering downtown since Thanksgiving and evaded being caught by Fish & Game. Seeing a coyote usually means something for me, or maybe it's just a coyote.


Or maybe I just need to be aware that I am almost in the country and my cats would make a nice coyote lunch. This coyote looks hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment