Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bananas and the DMV

First thing this morning it was raining and no snow. By 9 am big snowflakes were flying down in a big, big wind and I decided I better get out to the bank while I could still get down my alley. By the time I got out of the bank the sun was out and it stopped snowing with barely a half an inch on the ground and by the afternoon the half an inch was gone. No snowman building this week.


Boise has bananas in the grocery store, like everyone else in the entire world, but they don't get ripe. I bought really ripe looking bananas on December 23 and made banana bread on the 24th. The bananas were barely ripe, let alone over ripe, which is what I need for bread. So I added a teaspoon of the Meyer lemon juice I already thawed for the pie to moisten it. The recipe calls for fresh grated lemon rind and I usually use twice as much rind as in the recipe, so I figured more lemon would be good. I was right, the extra lemon is excellent in banana bread. I bought enough bananas for two loaves and left them out on the windowsill and I figured I better use them up today before they go bad and bake another loaf. The bananas were still barely ripe! They are a week old and looked ripe with brown spots when I ought them. My windowsill must be like some kind of root cellar for bananas. So, I baked another loaf today and used the secret Meyer lemon juice again.

My period was really late last month and I got really excited thinking that menopause was here, but it's not. Now I am back to being really early again, but today I was relieved, at least it explains my terrible mood yesterday. I would like to know why for women it's menopause or "the change of life" and for men it's now called "low T." Is the snappy name supposed to make those commercials less embarrassing for men? At least there are no bath tubs in them.

There was one more state job left where I had a good score, besides the one that they put on hold for 2 months, and today I got their reject letter. I did not even get an interview. (Actually, now that I think about it, why did I get a reject letter? I haven't received a letter for any other state job I applied for and got a score but not an interview. I figured on those my score was too low to be considered, but if it was too low to be considered on this one, then why did I get a letter?)

This afternoon I called the CA DMV that keeps sending me cancellation letters for my car registration in CA. There is nothing on the letter on on their website about what to do if you move out of state. I already applied for a refund for the balance of my registration, but Mom found the form for me on line, I could not find it. So, I call the DMV number, get an automated system that does not have a choice of what I want and start randomly pushing buttons until I get to wait on hold for more than half an hour. The rep tells me the form I need on line, and I have to admit by this time I am not very nice, and the section of the form I am supposed to fill out is the blank, write what you want section with still no instruction on what they need with the form and it has no address to send it! I filled out the thing and sent it with the cancellation letter and in it's provided envelope and address.

If you are leaving California, be sure to stop at the DMV before you go and get all their forms and addresses.

My DMV call reminded me how glad I am to not be in CA, but the reject letter and the call did not improve my mood. Time for a movie.

I was in a bad mood already, so I watched The Fighter, which I thought might be depressing. I was a bit uplifting actually and a good film. The cast is excellent and it is a guy fight movie with some family relationship and drug addiction stuff. Is drug and alcohol addiction in every movie nowadays? The younger brother is The Fighter and his older brother is the fighter has-been, so there is brother stuff. They have seven sisters, so there is loser-women stuff. The Fighter gets a girlfriend, so there is woman-behind-the-man stuff, although she is not exactly a saint. Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, and Amy Adams are all worth watching, but I spent most of the movie trying to figure out where I'd seen the mom before. That's Melissa Leo from the TV series, Homicide.

The movie helped, but I guess I'm spending the next few days on a new income plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment