Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sun, Children's Books, Silver, and Glen Beck

Today started sunny and clear without a cloud in the sky. What a relief for a change. Cruiser finally had a chance to go outside and roll around on the cement and stop driving me nuts for a few minutes. Tomorrow is supposed to be more sun, but one thing about living somewhere with weather is that it is unpredictable. Yesterday it was supposed to snow again on Friday, today it says not until Saturday. It must be tough being a weatherman in Idaho.

The sunny weather helped my mood a bit, but honestly, the economy and the holidays and the no job is getting to me. I also think doing that Artists Way writing is having an initial negative effect. Too much remembering negative experiences and recognizing negative thoughts without having let them go yet.

I did go to the bookstore and spend an hour in the children's book section. I just looked at pictures, I did not read much, but there is a whole lot of mediocre children's illustration out there. I just loved Jerry Pinkney, especially The Lion and The Mouse and Dave Shannon, who went to Art Center with me. I did not discover Dave Shannon until I was leaving, but he had several books about himself, really, including No David! I wished I hadn't already bought my brother Dave a Christmas present, he might like this one. Shannon actually wrote No David! when he was 5. Lauren used to draw mother and child horses when she was 5, the children were all attached to the mother with little strings. Maybe I should make those into a book. I still love the Jan Brett books, my favorite is Christmas Trolls, probably because it was Lauren's favorite book, and she had one I haven't seen about a hedgehog who gets a sock stuck on it's head called The Hat. My very favorite is still Can't You Sleep Little Bear?, that one is even worth reading.

When I made pancakes last week I remembered how Lauren used to like to eat the dots. You know, the little drips in the pan that you make when pouring the pancake? I used to make more for her on purpose. It must have been a long time since I made pancakes.

Yesterday I was researching how to buy silver, actual silver not silver stocks, and I found a website with a page on buying silver for survival purposes,

CMI, Buying silver, buying silver bullion for survival purposes
Read more: http://www.cmi-gold-silver.com/small-survival-gold-silver-coins.html#ixzz18EDVVYPV

I don't know anything about CMI versus any other seller, but I thought it was really interesting that they include this information at all.

I caught a bit of Glen Beck this afternoon. He was in Wilmington, Ohio doing a show called America's First Christmas. It's all about how Wilmington, Ohio has come together as a community to help each other through the current crisis. Glen Beck talked about the miracles that have happened there and he cried and I cried. (The starting over topic of Glen Beck got to me.) Yep, pretty angry, subversive stuff.

I've learned over the last 6 1/2 years that avoiding pain just causes not only yourself more pain, but the avoidance makes sure pain gets spread to others. It is better to just face it and walk through it, hopefully not by yourself. Then the pain has an end and you have what you learned to start again. I'm thinking this has a world-wide application. Maybe we need another Depression. Maybe the world needs this in order to right itself and the harder we try to avoid the pain of what this might be like, the worse we make it.

Wow, I'm feeling really heavy. I wanted to be sure to listen to Dennis Prager's Happiness Hour on Friday, but I will probably cry through the whole damn thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment