Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Red Coat and Mystery

I took some pictures for Mom of the coat, gloves, and sweater she got me for Christmas,





I felt like a dork, but after a few pictures I don't think it shows. The reflection off the snow made excellent, flattering, fill-light. My new coat is fur lined and insulated, but it's not down. It is not usually cold enough here for down and the key is layering, so I needed a warm coat that would fit over a few layers. The gloves are fur-lined, too, and I've heard mittens are really warmer, but these work well.

My friend Laney won a make-over, so she and the make-up rep came over this morning and Laney and I got made-over. (I learned why you clear your walkway of snow, so people don't track it in when they come over.) The skin care/cosmetic line was Arbonne International and it seemed worthwhile, if you are in to that stuff. I've never worn much make-up and I wear even less now that I can't see to put it on. Try putting on eyeliner when you can't see your eyelids without your glasses. The trauma of plucking my eyebrows using the magnifying mirror where I can see every flaw and every gray hair in my eyebrows that if I plucked them all out I would not have much eyebrow left is bad enough. It was fun to do something different and I didn't feel pressured to buy anything since Laney was spending her winnings.

Arbonne International uses network marketing, which started my wheels turning a bit. How can I use that for my own work?

The next enlightenment topic is Mystery with an excerpt of an essay called Points to Ponder by William Jennings Bryan,

"I have observed the power of the watermelon seed. It has the power of drawing from the ground and through itself 200,000 times its weight. When you can tell me how it takes this material and out of it colors an outside surface beyond the imitation of art, and then forms inside of it a white rind and within that again a red heart, thickly inlaid with black seeds, each one which in turn is capable of drawing through itself 200,000 times its weight—-when you can explain to me the mystery of a watermelon, you can ask me to explain the mystery of God."

I am unclear if Bryan actually titled this piece and it appears to be from a book of essays called In His Image.

Bryan was a politician and a lawyer and is most remembered for failing to win the Presidency three times and for representing John Scopes in the Scopes Monkey Trial (or the State of Tennessee v. Scopes) in 1925. High school biology teacher John Scopes was accused of violating the state's Butler Act that made it unlawful to teach evolution.

The author includes another quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald,

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them better."

F. Scott Fitzgerald is talking about Paradox, a topic that will make your mind explode. Funny that now, 85 years later, it's more likely unlawful to teach the Bible Story of Creation and nothing is a mystery, everything has a scientific explanation, even if the science is sometimes fabricated.

So, there are things that are unexplainable, let them be a mystery and just enjoy the beauty and mystery of a watermelon seed becoming a watermelon.

Somehow that ties in with wearing make-up, but I haven't figured out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment