Friday, December 17, 2010

More Sun!

Three days in a row of the sun being out first thing in the morning and lasting all day. Tomorrow the snow starts again, and not just a dusting, but 2 to 4 inches predicted just for Saturday with severe weather warnings. Then snow/rain through Christmas.

I have been lazily enjoying the sunshine, although except for my wonderful south-facing back yard, it is still cold. I started reading The African Queen, which isn't just a movie, you know. I started two studies and didn't like either one of them and didn't finish them. I have really, really not been productive. Sometimes the creative thing is just not happening. I thought I would have better luck at the computer in the afternoon, but not true today, Cruiser is all over the desk, then the chair, then the desk again.

The next enlightenment topic is Family and Home with a poem called Roots, by Joyce Kilmer,

Roofs
(For Amelia Josephine Burr)

The road is wide and the stars are out and the breath of the night is sweet,
And this is the time when wanderlust should seize upon my feet.
But I'm glad to turn from the open road and the starlight on my face,
And to leave the splendour of out-of-doors for a human dwelling place.

I never have seen a vagabond who really liked to roam
All up and down the streets of the world and not to have a home:
The tramp who slept in your barn last night and left at break of day
Will wander only until he finds another place to stay.

A gypsy-man will sleep in his cart with canvas overhead;
Or else he'll go into his tent when it is time for bed.
He'll sit on the grass and take his ease so long as the sun is high,
But when it is dark he wants a roof to keep away the sky.

If you call a gypsy a vagabond, I think you do him wrong,
For he never goes a-travelling but he takes his home along.
And the only reason a road is good, as every wanderer knows,
Is just because of the homes, the homes, the homes to which it goes.

They say that life is a highway and its milestones are the years,
And now and then there's a toll-gate where you buy your way with tears.
It's a rough road and a steep road and it stretches broad and far,
But at last it leads to a golden Town where golden Houses are.

A fitting topic for the holidays, I guess. I think I am the gypsy that takes their home with them. I am a bit of a wanderer, or maybe I could call it an explorer or a searcher, but I like to have a home base. Home is where the heart is anyway.

HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS Lyrics
Artist(Band):Peter, Paul & Mary

Home is where the heart is
No matter how the heart lives
Inside your heart where love is
That's where you've got to make yourself
At home

Four more days until the shortest day of the year, a full moon, and my four month anniversary in Boise. Tonight I'm going out to Winter Garden A Glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment