Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Three Month Review

Two whole days of sun and today it is due to snow again. Thank goodness the Arctic Blast is over and we are back to temperatures in the 30s and 40s for a while.

As of Sunday, November 21 I have been here for three months. It seems like the last month was all about adjusting to the weather and the low temperatures. After an unseasonably warm October, winter came in with a blast in November. November was more like January here, and I now know what January will be like. Real winters take planning. I set up a coat rack next to the front door with a low table underneath it. On top of the table is a basket for all of my hats and gloves and under the table go my two pairs of boots. I tried to go out yesterday wearing regular shoes, which was a mistake and I am sure I will be sick of my boots by February.

I still deal with financial fear and I thought I would have a job by now. The State continues to post openings and I have four applications pending a score. They filled one HR position, but there is another one pending, and there are two more positions that need applications this week. I applied for several positions outside of the State, non-profits, hospital technical support, but I have not heard a peep from any of them. This last week I was glad not to have a job, since I would have driven to it through the snow, but I would really like to have one by the first of the year.

There does not appear to be any activity with the Eagle gallery, but I continue to paint. It really helps to paint when I am not sure what to do next, I just paint and wait for an inspiration. I am glad I have plenty of constructive indoors things to do, since I have three more months of being stuck indoors due to the weather.

The biggest difference in the last month is feeling like I have a life today. I am now good at meeting people and feel like I have many friends. People call me, I call them, and I go out a lot, even despite the weather. I went out to meet someone for coffee yesterday morning. I had a car mishap, I used the windshield washer and spread ice all over my windshield and had to pull over and use the defroster for 10 minutes, then I could not find the coffee place and was 15 minutes late. I forgot the phone number of the person I was meeting, but it turns out she only waited for me for less than 15 minutes and then left. Geez, you would think you could give the new guy that doesn't know driving in snow or where things are more than 15 minutes! So I called and apologized when I got home and found her number, but I don't think I will do that again. When you have a lot of friends, you take responsibility for your part and don't put up with people just because you are lonely.

I keep pretty busy and try to keep moving forward and stay open to possibilities. God's plan for me is going too slow for my liking, but I think I always feel that way. My biggest concern, besides financial fear, is that the cats and I lay on the couch in the evening and keep each other warm and I can't get up and do anything. This doesn't feel very constructive and I hope I can get past this habit before winter ends. I started writing the children's book and finishing this is the goal for this month. Yesterday I got a library card so I can research current children's books and publishers. Today I will renew AAA in Idaho and that is the last detail, the last thing to change over to my new life in Boise.

No comments:

Post a Comment