Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween

Yesterday I was a little more constructive than Saturday and I hope to be even better today.

My friend Margo wants to start a workshop following the Artist's Way - A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron. I think I remember checking out this book and not thinking much of it, but a chance to get together with a group and talk about creativity and the 12 Steps seems like a good idea. One requirement of the course/workshop is to write every day, so I am already ahead.

I looked into volunteering for Thanksgiving and there are several opportunities in Boise on Wednesday and Thursday during Thanksgiving week at the Rescue Mission and I think I will sign up for Thursday. This seems like a constructive way to deal with my irritation all weekend and remember how good I have it compared to most of the rest of the world.

When I applied for the last State of Idaho job I checked my scores on the other applications and I scored a 95 on an HR job for the Labor Department. That's even higher than I scored on the two Health and Welfare jobs I interviewed for, so it should earn me another interview. This made me feel a bit relieved.

Two trick-or-treaters showed up on Saturday night and I gave them what was left of the one bag of candy I bought, so I had to go out yesterday afternoon and buy more. Last night I got about 5, including two girls not more than two years old. Those little ones in costume are so cute, they always look mystified at the concept of going to doors and getting candy. One came inside the door to get a really good look at my candy bowl, as if there might be some variety, and the other one wanted the candy in her hand so she could put it in her pumpkin bucket herself.

I went next door to give Sara a card for the Eagle gallery's First Friday this week and she gave me a selection of grapes. The woman that she buys eggs from (which I guess I am going to have to go back and find out who that is) gave her many bags of a variety of grapes. She was storing the grapes on the porch, which I guess is not too different from the refrigerator right now. I guess you can only make so much grape juice and jelly, what else do you make with grapes? I now have bunches of 4 kinds of grapes, all different and all sweet.

There are several farmer's markets in Boise and I finally got over to the one downtown last Saturday morning. I just wanted to check it out and it gets smaller by October, but they still had some good stuff. There was a cheesecake booth and I sampled key lime cheesecake, which was just wonderful with almonds in the crust. They also have caramel apple cheesecake for Thanksgiving. There was a booth of jams and preserves, including blackberry/orange and that rhubarb/raspberry again, and a collection of sweet ice cream toppings and of savory glazes for meat. I wanted to take a picture for Lani, but I thought it might be rude and it was also too cold to take my hands out of my pockets. All of the jars in the booth had printed fabric on the tops that kind-of matched what was in the jar, which looked pretty festive. The market also had homemade sausage, elk, and Kobe beef. I didn't buy anything, but I was impressed.

Today I get to go over and sign a new contract with Cable One. I signed up for a $99 package and after I signed up Cable One started sending me promotions for a package with more stuff for $75. So I called them last week and they agreed to change my service, so I get to add unlimited local and long distance phone and save $288 in a year. The sacrifice is a one year commitment instead of two years, which is better for me anyway.

I missed the Scarecrow Stroll at the Idaho Botanical Garden,


maybe next year, but Tuesday I can go see Day of the Dead altars at the Idaho State Historical Museum. There is always something to do here and it's almost always free.

No comments:

Post a Comment