Monday, November 8, 2010

State Competitiveness Report

This is Tia, my neighbor Kurt's dog,



She is a mixed breed and I don't remember of what breeds my neighbor's told me, but she looks like an Australian Shepherd to me. Kurt must have been gone too long last Saturday afternoon, so Tia jumped the fence and went looking for attention. She came running over to me and rolled over at my feet. Tia knows she is not the pack leader. She has great fluffy ears, but she would not point them up for me for a picture.

Saturday night was actually balmy, with a warm humid breeze, but must have been an indicator of cold weather on its way. It rained all day yesterday and today is the day that it gets cold and stays cold. No more high temperatures above 50 degrees and lows are now in the 30s. I finally went out yesterday afternoon and bought those Bearclaw boots for wearing around the house, although last night my feet were really too warm in them.

There was a break in the rain early last night and I let the cats outside. Cruiser managed to chase a few big falling leaves before it started raining again and both cats raced back in the house. Even though it has not been that cold yet, the cats like to lay with me on the couch and we all keep each other warm. Once there and warm, none of us want to get up, which is not conducive to getting anything done.

Today I am trying to paint all day after an unproductive weekend. I am feeling a bit off balance, like I am not sure what to do next, but I am also feeling hopeful. Hopeful and off balance is a weird combination.

Dad sent an article about the dire state of California which mentions two reports on State competitiveness,

The Tenth Annual State Competitiveness Report by the Beacon Hill Institute
http://www.beaconhill.org/CompetitivenessHomePage.html and
The 2011 State Business Tax Climate Index
http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/bp60.pdf

Idaho ranks 18th on both index. I am curious why more businesses are moving to Utah than Idaho and this is due to the business tax climate, which is ranked lowest of all the surrounding states, Wyoming 3rd, Nevada 4th, Montana 6th, Utah 9th, Washington 11th, Oregon 14th, and Colorado 15th. I disagree with some of the reasoning for lower scores for Idaho on the State Competitiveness Report, but Idaho also ranks behind all of the same states on this report, although not by much, Wyoming 4th, Nevada 16th, Montana 17th, Utah 7th, Washington 14th, Oregon 15th, and Colorado 2nd. Idaho ranks lower in the Technology category because it's institutions do not accept enough money from the National Institutes of Health (federal grants for research) and I am not sure if this is really a bad thing. I also find it hard to believe that a relocating company would not have some serious human resources issues in Wyoming. Anyway, this is material for another paper.

The sun is out and I am really liking the time change.

No comments:

Post a Comment