Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Rim

Today is my brother Dave's birthday and until March my brother's and I are all 2 years apart. I'm the oldest, so it goes, 48, 46, 44, 42. Dave is 44. I am at the age where I have to remember how old I am and count backwards. It is hard for me to believe I am 48, but it is even harder to believe all my little brothers are in their 40s.

Yesterday the Idaho weatherman was making a commotion about the wind. It was windy but I felt the same way I do when people here talk about how hot it is in July and August. I lived in Vegas, in Idaho you don't know hot. I lived in Vegas, in Idaho you don't know wind. Constant high winds that blew day after day was the thing I liked the least about Vegas. Sometimes the hot dry wind was so bad that I felt like I was going to dehydrate into a pile of dust. Then I moved to Simi Valley, which is also pretty windy, and I thought, why did I do this again, live someplace so windy? It is not windy here.

Even though it was mildly windy for a few hours, I put up the Christmas lights, since I felt like it and it was sunny. 2 more days of sun and then we get rain and snow through Thanksgiving. I had to buy another strand of lights and once I saw the price of LED lights I was tempted to buy a lifetime supply of old fashioned incandescent Christmas lights. At Target, a strand of 300 incandescent lights is $6 and a strand of 300 LEDs is $60. I guess once I can't buy incandescent Christmas lights anymore then I will not have outdoor lights anymore.

Then I went for a walk to take pictures of streets full of leaves, and I did not find any so I took a walk along the rim. I live in the part of Boise called the Central Rim, which is the edge of the Boise Bench. Just a few blocks from my house is the edge of the rim and the houses on the edge of the rim have this view,


These are some of the houses that have this view,



Two doors down from me on the other side of Kurt's house they have been working on the world's longest home remodel,


The house looks like a duplex, with one apartment downstairs and one upstairs and it can't be more than 1000 square feet total, but they have been working on it since Labor Day. In that amount of time you would think they could have rebuilt it from scratch. Sometimes the construction noise gets really annoying and the worst was when they brought in a small backhoe to take up the driveway. Now that every moving vehicle has to have beeping the entire time that it is backing up, that backhoe beeped all day for two days. I wanted to go over and disconnect it, although that would be against the law. How many children were saved from being run over by that backhoe in those two days? None.

Speaking of over regulation, yesterday The National Transportation Safety Board called on states to enact stronger motorcycle helmet laws which caused an uproar here in Idaho. Motorcyclists are not required to wear a helmet in Idaho, which goes with Idaho's general philosophy of freedom and personal responsibility. I was surprised at the timing of another attack on State's rights by the Feds. Even if the Fed's passed a law requiring motorcycle riders to wear a helmet in Idaho, I doubt they could enforce it.

Kurt did not bag his pile of leaves and now half of the pile is in my yard. Sarah's tomato plants are all wilted from the last freeze and she was planning yard clean-up this weekend, but she may be doing it in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment