Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Even More Snow

This is the cowboys that I finished last week,


And the next one,


Mary Kay tells me these are Hawthorn berries. Since it has been so cold and gloomy, all I could think about when I painted the orange berries was Bob Ross saying, think happy trees!

It snowed two inches last night and the news today was all about the weather. I called and canceled meeting Laney for coffee and she understood. She had been on the interstate this morning and it was nasty. I went for a walk to take some pictures and get out of the house. People cleared their sidewalks and cars wore tracks in the snow, but the cleared sidewalks and the tire tracks iced over and it was easier to walk in the snow. I figure I won't bother clearing my walkway to the front door.


This guy has the wrong car, too,








I did clear a bit of the back patio so the cats could walk around. They did go out for a bit, but they want me to leave the back door open in case they need a quick escape, and it is just too cold for that. The sun was out all afternoon, which was really nice, even though it was still cold.

Note the November average low for Boise is 32.4° and the average high is 47.5°.
Today the high was 24° and the low predicted to be 3°. Boise had a late Spring and an unseasonably warm October and I think everyone, including me, was expecting a late Winter, not a super cold early one.

The next enlightenment topic is Kindness. The author's selection is a poem by Stephen Crane called "Do Not Weep, Maiden, For War is Kind." This is a cynical poem about war and, as far as I am concerned, off topic. I prefer the Aldous Huxley quote noted by the author in the text. On his deathbed Huxley was asked for his advice to mankind and he answered, "All we need to do is be a little kinder to each other." As we all struggle with the difficulties and emotions and disappointments of the holidays, remember to be kind. This includes the harassed grocery checker, the sister-in-law that sends you out for sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving morning because yams are not good enough, and that grandmother on the road that is driving too slow. This does not include North Korea. War has nothing to do with kindness or unkindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment