Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Spit has a Fat Lip

Last night's low was 38 degrees and there was frost on the grass this morning. The heater is now going on at night. The low is predicted to be back in the 40's for the rest of the week, but it is now obvious I am not in So Cal anymore. I am starting to worry about warm clothes. I figure what I think of as my Winter clothes in So Cal are my Fall clothes here, but I'm trying to remember what I wore in Vegas in the Winter. I have warm boots, two pairs of Sorrels, so my feet will be warm, and I have a few coats, but I think I need gloves and a hat.

At least my skin is ready for Winter. This is the high desert, which is tough on your skin. Winter is cold and dry. I finished the Lancome face moisturizers that I bought back in the day when I was abusing my credit cards and I just could not justify that expense again. So I did some research and it is really difficult to find any real information about all those expensive anti-wrinkle face creams and if they really work. I mean, do I have less wrinkles from using that expensive Lancome? How would I know? They don't exactly work overnight, so how would you keep track of the difference? Do wrinkles really matter anyway? So, based on the information that I could find, I bought some old classics, Eucerine for body lotion, Cetaphil with SPF 15 sunscreen (about $6) for day, and Ponds (about $5) for night. I don't need both the day and the night cream every day, I've been alternating. I already had the old fashioned Noxzema cleansing cream and I bought Clinique clarifying lotion ($11.50) and I use those every day. My skin hasn't looked or felt this good in years and I saved $109.

Cruiser doesn't like the heater going on and cries about it. Better get used to it Cruiser. Spit has a fat lip. (Do cats have lips?) Maybe it's really her chin. She's had it before and I don't know if it is some kind of defect, like she bit herself, or if something bit her, but she has a pink spot on her lower jaw that has grown bigger over the last few days. It makes her look like her tongue is sticking out.

I applied for a few jobs on-line yesterday and am trying to resist my urge to complain about how irritating applying for jobs has become. For Idaho state jobs or HP, where there are many listed jobs, it is not such a big deal to spend the time entering all of your information into their format because you can re-use it, but for smaller organizations, where you are probably only going to apply for one job, you have to spend hours entering your information into their format. Sometimes this is in addition to submitting your resume. Sometimes you have no opportunity to submit a cover letter. Nothing unique or personal allowed. All this work for what? So the computer can scan your entries for the secret keywords and spit it out before a human has to look at it? Then you see anyone who gets a job gets it because they knew someone and you think, what is the point of doing this on-line waste of time application that takes hours?

The Eagle gallery wants to see a website and has a waiting list of artists. She gave me an email and I emailed her some samples. Today I guess I need to do the website. Everyone wants a website and right now I'm not going to get on my soapbox again.

I am disappointed. I miss my friends. I miss Tuesday night women's coffee where I can just show up and say a few words and everyone understands.

No comments:

Post a Comment