Friday, October 1, 2010

Recall the Child Within

The weatherman predicts that the heat wave here is ending Monday when it will rain. That means Sunday and Tuesday are probably the great puffy cloud days we have here in Boise and will be good picture taking days. I am stalling on a trip to McCall and Sun Valley until the Fall color is in full swing, which will not be for another week or two, but I think I will hike up to Table Rock. Table Rock is a scenic overlook just above the city with a white cross on top. The Idaho Historical Society owns Table Rock, except for cross and the 4 feet around where it sits. (And no Supreme Court lawsuits to get rid of it!) I'm sure the cross above the city will make me homesick for Simi Valley.

HP is already sending reject emails. 1 down, 3 to go. I have not heard from Idaho Health and Welfare. Yesterday I applied for 2 jobs at an insurance company that appears to be new to Idaho and provides insurance for those who used to be on Medicaid, but needs to know Medicaid rules. They had two jobs, one was more technical, both including resolving issues via phone. I'm hoping my County experience with Medicaid may transfer to private insurance. I also applied for another job with the State, this time in the Department of Labor.

Friday is errand-running day, as long as I have the luxury of being able to do this on a weekday and avoid places like Target on the weekend I am going to take advantage of it. When I read the Idaho Driver's Manual, I found a few things missing from my emergency pack related to being stranded in the snow. One is sand or cat litter, to provide traction for a car wheel stuck in the snow.

My next SCORE appointment is Friday October 8, so that gives me some motivation to write out my business ideas. I spoke to the Art Museum of Eastern Idaho about membership and being a museum artist. Being a museum artist costs me an extra $10 to regular membership, $45 total, and they will send me the membership form. Being a museum artist allows me to participate in ArtMart for Christmas. There is also emerging artists at The Market, three artists every week. I have enough paintings to show to pursue doing commission work of children, but my research into other subjects and avenues to sell them always makes me feel like I need many, many more pieces.

I am having trouble with a leg cramp in my left calf. It is a terrible charley horse that comes up when I wake up in the morning or from a nap. I haven't had one of these since I was pregnant and I am definitely not pregnant. The only causes I can find that might apply are flat feet, I have hardly worn shoes at all since I've been here, or an electrolyte imbalance. The electrolyte imbalance could be possible as it has been hot and dry here and I am always thirsty, so on my shopping list today is Gatorade G and tomato juice. I should get some bananas, but I don't like bananas anymore.

That none of the Native American Indian quotes were really true is still upsetting me. I think I might send them to Snopes or Factcheck to research. When researching these quotes, I did find something more about my coyote spirit animal. At least this is not pretending to be much more than someone's opinion. The coyote wind is from the South, and teaches us to recall the child within. This seems appropriate considering my soul retrieval. The coyote is known as the Trickster, but this guy, who calls himself Wolf's Moon, adds some dimension to this idea,

"For the two-legged beside whom Coyote walks, there will be an aspect of their personality that is deeply playful and mischievous, yet they are equally capable of deep contemplation and introspection. Though this may at first appear to be a great contradiction, such dichotomy is all a part of the paradoxical Medicine of the Trickster that is both the Wise Sage and the hapless Fool."

So I will pick my own enlightenment topic today, Paradox, with a poem called Spirit of Coyote by Wolf's Moon,

A cry fills the night
the haunting sound, a familiar one.
Carried upon the ribbons of moonlight,
a song that has been heard for centuries,
never changing, yet heralding change.

Generations & tribes of two-leggeds have long since come and gone
and always, across shifting times and People
Coyote’s song lingers on . . .
the melody often strong in our ears,
in other moments, but a distant echo we vaguely hear.

He sings to us of Family and the sacred bond of love.
Coyote asks of us to expand our hearts beyond blood ties
to include all the People
human, winged, four-legged, finned,
as members of our Clan.

Coyote sings to us of Changes to come.
He is Trickster, Joker, the Fool & the Sage.
Both the Wise Master and the Servant of Folly,
Masleca sings to us
that Truth lies within the Paradox

So, enough job applying until Monday, I am painting and writing business proposals this weekend. And going on a hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment