Monday, October 4, 2010

How weird is that?

The water bill came today. It must be every two month billing, and I can't tell if the customer charge part, aside from the usage part, is prorated. The bill was $30.96 for 35 days, but I can't really estimate what it will be next time. This is about what the water bill was at my house, but much more than my apartment. I also think the yard was way over-watered until I reset the sprinkler timer and besides, that part of the water usage will go away soon.

My house is not hooked in, but people in Boise can tap into reclaimed water to water their yards. I noticed people had little streams around and through their yard and I thought it was a real stream, but it is reclaimed city water.


Sometimes people just flood their yard with reclaimed water and let it soak.


This is Elizabeth's little house across the street.


It turns out that the last manager that I interviewed with at Idaho Health and Welfare and I have a mutual friend. (How weird is that?!) I saw her today and we realized why we both looked familiar to each other at the interview. I did not get the job, I was one of her top four, she had several good candidates apply that were internal, there are more positions opening and she will help me get one. I asked if not being from Idaho was hurting me and if there was something I could do differently. She said not being from Idaho is not hurting me, but this time she had several good choices that were already working for the agency. She asked for my resume so she can help me get another position.

I'm so tripped out about the mutual friend that I am not currently bothered by not getting the job. Although the idea of being close, but not getting the job, is too familiar.

Last night I gave up on getting anything done and watched To Kill a Mockingbird. I love having Turner Classic Movies on cable. This is an excellent film, and I can't remember the last time I watched it. I did not realize that Robert Duvall makes his first film appearance as Boo. Wow, does he look young. If you've watched Pulp Fiction, part of Amanda Plummer's speech while she is robbing the diner is lifted exactly, words, tone, and attitude, from Mayella's testimony on the witness stand in To Kill a Mockingbird. I knew Tarantino paid homage to old movies in his films, but I thought it was just Kung Fu movies. After being at Dad's and watching him be terrorized by the jays, I now more understand Gregory Peck's speech which explains the title of the film. His father, when he gave him his first gun, told him it was OK to kill the jays, but never to kill a mockingbird. So, go ahead and pop off those jays Dad, even Gregory Peck says they are nasty birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment