Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Trolley House and Hell, Michigan

My very busy friends wanted to meet for breakfast at 8 am this morning. Way to early to get up and be somewhere on a Sunday. This is the Trolley House,


It was small and old time looking inside and they have a patio, although we are past patio weather. We were the first ones there at 8 am, but the place was almost packed by the time we left at 9:30. After eating fresh made butter, buttermilk pancakes yesterday, and eggs benedict this morning, I can feel my arteries hardening as I sit here. I had one of the last cucumbers for dinner.

Sarah gave me free tickets to the Fall Harvest Festival at the Idaho Botanical garden. This includes the Scarecrow Stroll, where people built scarecrows and you go around and vote for your favorite. I went this afternoon, but I did not vote on any scarecrows, they were really lame.









Some of the flowers were still looking good, though, I was surprised. The English garden was really done, but there was metal work like the tower in the English Garden all through the gardens. That is the Old Idaho Penitentiary in the background, with that low wall and tower you can believe how many escaped. The lederhosen guy was having a pretty good time, despite the outfit. Sarah says she liked the Fall Festival better when it was an Oktoberfest, maybe the outfit is left over from that event. I bought some fresh salsa, I miss salsa, you can't go to a cheap Mexican restaurant in Idaho and still get great salsa like you can in So Cal. It was a beautiful day to be out, not too many more left.

This is probably the last weekend for garden chores. I turned off the auto sprinklers a week ago and I mowed the lawn for the last time today. The green peppers are looking wilty, but I am leaving the vegetables alone until they really freeze, which will probably only be a week or two. Sarah gave me some of her last raspberries.

The sudden temperature and season change is making me super tired, and all I wanted to do was go home and drink hot tea, but I went out last Thursday after work anyway to a charity event at the Elks Rehab, which is an art show of work done by some of their patients. Two did work in glass, which was nice, and there was one watercolor artist who is paralyzed from the shoulders down, whose work was nice also. The event made me sure I do not have any reason to be unhappy. Boise people are big on supporting charity and they bought up most of the work by the time I left.

Yesterday I rotated my clothes. Summer put away, fall and winter pulled out. There are always those things that I pull out that I am really happy to see, oh yea, I remember this sweater. I pulled out my red coat to go to that charity event because it was still raining, and I tell ya, I did not feel happy to see that red coat. It just has not been long enough since I last wore it.

At breakfast my friend said, take a good look at Shelly's neck because pretty soon you are not going to see it and you will forget she has one. For the first five months that she knew me I was always wearing a turtleneck (and that red coat). Perhaps I will be more hearty this year.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, a woman at work has a summer house in Hell, Michigan. We asked her why they call it Hell, which everyone who lives there must get all the time, but here is the good for Halloween story,

http://www.hell2u.com/content/long-history-hell-mi

No comments:

Post a Comment