Thursday, October 20, 2011

Flies and Steelhead

Yesterday I went to the dentist and had two metal fillings replaced, then I came home in time for a nap, which I didn't get because both cats were howling at me, Spit must have had a stomach ache, which I kept having to clean up after, then the shots wore off and my mouth hurt so I did not feel like doing much, then I went to bed and got bit by something on the tip of my finger, which is now swollen. Yesterday could have been a page out of Harold and the No Good, Terrible, Very Bad Day, except that was the most pleasant trip to the dentist I've ever had.

Two fillings, two shots and no pain. Not once did that whirring drill hurt. I got to see a picture of one of my teeth with the old filling off and before the new filling and it looked pretty bad. Two fillings down, two more to go. This is something I've wanted for ten years and I am thrilled to be getting it done. Even farm girls should have teeth.

This year has been a bad year in Idaho for flies. I thought I noticed it was worse this year, I keep killing them in the house, but I leave the back door open for the cats much of the time and so I thought it was my own fault, but I read about the bad fly year in the paper this week. People can guess at the reason, but who knows, and in another few weeks it will be too cold for flies. Spiders like to eat flies and I think this is a bad spider year also, which made me concerned enough about my bite on my finger to look up spider bites. It's not a black widow bite, you have to seek out black widows, they don't come looking for you in your bed, and it's not a brown recluse bite, or I would be in real pain by now and my finger would be eroding. Those are the only two you really have to worry about in the US, I probably just have a bad mosquito bite.

Who knows if it is related to the excessive amount of flies, but the fishing season this year is excellent. It is about time for the anglers to be out, but it is an excellent year for Steelhead. You can get the full report here,

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish/?getPage=232

Check out the Steelhead Harvest Report and the extensive angler guides, what a crack up. I think I will check out the learn to fish section, they have a part on cleaning a fish which seems like something a farm girl should know. A guy at work took his two sons hunting last weekend and had a permit to shoot two deer, one for each son, but did not end up shooting anything. He said it was pretty crowded. He saw a black bear though. It was moving fast, but fortunately not in his direction.

I started another study of fall in Katherina Albertson Park and this week I went to work, came home, went for a walk, painted, and then started re-reading Johnson's book We, which as more about spirituality in it than I remembered. Johnson talks about needing an inner life and the need for spiritually being a strong unconscious need. I honestly go to work now and that feels like the unreal part of my life and my inner life where I paint and read and cook and clean feels real. I suppose that it is good that I have to go to work and interact with other people, but what I see at work and what read in the news today makes no sense to me.

I arranged all of my best paintings on one page by month as if I was going to do an Idaho calendar and there are a few months that are missing, and a few that are over-represented, like October. Even though I have plenty of material, the fall color is really started here and I think I will go up to Lake Cascade and McCall this weekend. The fall color should be is full swing in McCall.

No comments:

Post a Comment