Saturday, October 1, 2011

Dreams and Symbols

In my dream I am climbing stairs. The stairs are made of white tubing and they are very open to the blue, sunny sky all around me. I can't see the ground, but I don't look down. There are other people climbing, too, but I don't recognize them, except for one person that I recognize, but don't really know. Every so often there is a set of white cushions to rest, but I don't stop and rest, I keep climbing. The stairs are so open, like scaffolding, and I finally slip and fall. As I fall, I see the letters YHVH in white light and something tells me to keep looking at the light and not to be afraid. As I look at the letters they grow brighter and when I hit the ground and I know I am dead it does not hurt and I am enveloped in white light. Then I wake up and am very much alive.

In dreams and in life, there are universal symbols and there are symbols that are specific to you. I can dream about a particular person and sometimes they are just a person and sometimes they represent what that person represents to me.

So, the climbing the stairway to heaven seems like a pretty obvious spiritual journey symbol, as does the tempting white cushions that I do not use. The white letters are an obvious influence of reading The Source, but that I immediately pick this up as a true representative of God is a bit baffling to me.

YHVH is the Ineffable Name or Unutterable Name of the God of Israel.
You can read about YHVH here,
http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_G-d/YHVH/yhvh.html

Dying in your dream often means the end or death of something, so that something new can start.

Then there has to be the influence of the end of The Power of Now, where Tolle suggests that when we die we have a brief opportunity to look into the light, or to see God, but most people are too unconscious and look away in fear.

Or, maybe the energy of some Hebrew was passing by and found me receptive, since I was feeling a bit joyous and understanding past events and had a hard time falling asleep.

And the guy that I recognized in my dream? I asked someone about him after my dream, since I expected him to have just died, and they said he is living in a home and ready to go join his deceased wife, but he is still living and I just saw him today.

I was too preoccupied with the dream and my terrible boss, so I moved on to easy reading and The Lost Symbol, which I quickly finished, but which just made me feel weirder. It is a fun story with great references to symbols and texts and I like stories about the Knights Templar and the Masons, but the story was so strikingly masculine where the main woman character was really a dope. (This opinion reminds me of my Dad's opinion of the movie Contact which was that the most implausible thing about the movie was believing Jodie Foster was a heterosexual.)

There is all of this technology, all of these puzzles, protecting the Ancient Mysteries. Technology is masculine. Then there is this smart, successful woman from an old Mason family who sits right across from the bad guy having tea and nothing tells her to get away? A woman with no intuition, no inner feminine whatsoever. Then there is all this stuff about the Ancient Mysteries revealing the true power of the mind. The Kingdom of God is in my mind? A masculine idea again.

Does Dan Brown have any women in his life? He needs to go over and ask Elmore Leonard how to write women characters. I suppose there was enough spirituality in the book that I believe to be true that the idea that men had all of the keys was irritating.

All of this writing about technology reminded me of my dream where I make chocolate truffles in my kitchen with Mark Zuckerberg, which is clearly a bringing feminine aspects to technology dream, so I picked up my Robert Johnson books again. Johnson's books are categorized as psychology, but they use mythology to explain men, women, and relationships and they include The Fisher King & The Handless Maiden. Everyone knows the Fisher King, that is the wounded masculine, but the Handless Maiden is much less known.

Dan Brown could benefit from reading some mythology, in mythology there is always a duality and partnership between masculine and feminine, something that seems to have been lost.

In the myth of the handless maiden, the miller sells his daughter's hands in exchange for the technology to improve his mill. Pretty horrible start, there. When I last read the book in my 20's I did not understand what the myth suggested to heal the inner feminine, so I will have to reread it, but for now, as my brother Dave says, I have spent too much time with my shadow. I went out all afternoon and spent some time with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment