Monday, June 20, 2011

Tomorrow is the first day of Summer

Yesterday turned out to be one of those warm puffy cloud days and last night we had a long bright dusk that I've only seen in Idaho. I can't really describe it. The sun is going down and it looks like dusk for several hours, but it is still bright out. Maybe some mix of clean air and northern light. Yesterday I remembered how good it smells here, even without my neighbor's blooming lilac next to my front door.

Today I'm attaching the very best dessert recipe ever for Lani and Darci, who have been picking apricots in So Cal. I originally tried the recipe because someone gave me a ton of apricots and this was the recipe I found that called for the most apricots. Lani, do not mess with the recipe! You can cut the sugar that you mix with the apricots in half, do not change anything else.



I caught the second to the last episode of The Killing on AMC yesterday morning, so I had to stay up and watch the finale last night. I stayed up until midnight and it wasn't the finale! There is a surprise, cliff-hanger ending and there is a second season! No, I can't do this again! I'm sleepy. I looked for someone at work that watches it trying to find someone to talk about the ending and couldn't find anyone. No other dopes at my work staying up and watching TV until midnight on a work night. Speaking of dopes at work, out of a building of 70 employees there are three other people with the same birthday as me. I never meet people with the same birthday as me.

I came home and mowed the backyard and checked the sprinklers. I only know that the guy was here to turn on the sprinklers again because they were suddenly on one morning. One sprinkler is jamming up against the fence and will not pop up. I think the fence sagged into the yard since last year. I need to make that the landlord's problem.

Idaho farmers either planted late this spring or not at all because of the weather. The Kootenai County declared an agricultural disaster emergency in the county last Tuesday, due to the excessive wet conditions over the past several months and several other counties, all in northern Idaho, are considering doing the same. I watched two fisherman wearing waders fishing from the Americana bridge, the water is too high for fishing even with waders. And the snow pack has barely started melting.

Everyone here has been complaining about the long, cold, gray spring and wondering if we will ease into summer or if it will come in with a hot blast. Today it was in the 80s and tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 90s. I'm voting for hot blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment