Friday, June 10, 2011

End of Artists Way and Tid Bits

Both cats are adjusting well to me working. Cruiser is still working on his hole to escape,


Funny thing is, I tried to open the side gate and let him out last weekend, but he was too scared of the sound of Sarah's voice and he ran inside. Spit is dreaming of my garden as a litter box, here I caught her in the act,


Everything is growing nicely. Spit's efforts slowed down two of the green peppers, but I already am going to have too many anyway. The strawberries already have berries, although they are far from red. I re-potted the basil I have inside, trimmed off all of its mangy winter growth, and it looks as good as new. I had another pot for inside, so I planted a cilantro to go with the basil in the kitchen window. I thought I killed it, so I gave it some fertilizer and it shot up to three feet high overnight and grew flowers. With the flowers on it it does not look much good for harvesting cilantro, did I do something wrong?

Last night was the last week of this round of our Artists Way meetings. It would have been really sad, if the last night wasn't so much fun. Our meetings have given me some structure and support for the last six months and I will miss them. We intend to try another round starting at the end of the year. Last night I told Margo how great I felt that as a brand-newcomer to Boise I let her get to know me well enough for her to ask me to be a part of this Artists Way group. She finally confessed that she knew I was an artist and she asked me to give the group credibility, and here we have the REAL artist. Ha! That is pretty darn funny.

Here is a picture of the Gaia Gallery in Eagle,


That space off to the right that used to be a garage is the workshop space. On Saturday, I go pick up all of my work.

I was out the other day and saw a woman wearing these shoes,


They are called "Five Fingers" and made by Vibram. Do not wear these shoes. They are the ugliest shoes I have ever seen and made the woman wearing them look like a duck, a look she already could not afford.

The Idaho History column in last week's Sunday paper is about Idaho's prune industry. Idaho does not have a prune industry anymore, but it was huge in the 1890s. This was partly due to promotion efforts by the Union Pacific Railroad, which praised the Boise prune as better because it was dried in the sun and retained its natural sweetness, where prunes imported from France had to be artificially sweetened. The article doesn't say what happened to all the Idaho prunes.

Around the corner from my work is a used paperback book store. Half of the store is comic books, which must be new comics, and the rest is used paperbacks. Half of the paperbacks are bodice-rippers, but the other half are pretty decent. I had already read many of them, leading me to think that much of Boise must include avid readers, but I picked up The Road and Under the Tuscan Sun. I am going to go back with my mystery-books-to-read list, since they had a huge mystery section. I am whipping through The Road, it is an easy book to read on my breaks at work because the chapters are super short.

I raced home to find my first paycheck in almost a year in the mailbox and then I raced over to put it in the bank. What a relief. The rest of the checks will be direct deposit. I'm feeling pretty secure at work even though I am often irritated. They do not have a trainer or anyone that can write documentation in my department and I continue to find out crucial bits of information after making a mistake. The pregnant girl is huge and although she is not due until June 22nd, I'm giving her another week at most.

No comments:

Post a Comment