Friday, September 2, 2011

Tomatoes and Raspberrries

Tonight I got home and right away Cruiser is fired up by the neighbor cat, so he takes a swipe at Spit, who races into the house. Then Spit looks over at me with one eye closed. Are you alright Spit? What is wrong with your eye? I say. Why do I do this, talk to the cat like she can tell me what is wrong? She's still looking at me with one eye closed and I pin her down and put on my glasses, and the outside sheath of one of Cruiser's nails is sticking out of Spit's skin right below her eye. Cruiser is shedding his nails more and sometimes he just chomps away at them and tries to pull the sheath off with his teeth, which I did not see him do before we lived here.

I pulled out the nail and Spit's skin bled a little, but I can't tell if it is worth a trip to the vet. I would be less concerned if it wasn't right next to her eye. Are you alright Spit? There I go again. It has been a few hours and Spit is now milking the experience for attention.

Wednesday was better. Wednesday I got home and Sarah was giving away tomatoes and raspberries. Sarah's raspberry disappeared from view over the edge of the fence and I was really disappointed. Turns out the bush got so heavy that it half fell over, so we went in her backyard and lifted up branches and harvested berries from the undersides. I think this is actually really late for raspberries. I have yellow tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and had two mornings of raspberries in my granola for breakfast. I had cucumber and tomatoes for lunch for two days, but honestly I had to stop for a Sonic hamburger on my way home from work today. You can only be so healthy.

Someone brought in peaches from their tree a week ago and it was so good that I will not be able to eat a store bought peach again. What happened to food?

It is suddenly much cooler and I figure that this is the cooler spell when school starts that must happen world-wide. It cools off and kids get excited to wear their new school clothes for a week and then it gets burning hot again. It has been nice for a few days, but has already ruined my summer close the windows and blinds routine. Turns out August 2011 was the fourth hottest August in Boise in 150 years. There was only one day that reached over 100 degrees, but the average temperature was just over 78 degrees, 6 degrees above normal.

The Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic ends Sunday. Remember when I first got here and heard that hot air blowing noise and then saw three hot air balloons flying over my house? I may have to go down to the park this weekend and see them close up.

Boise State and Georgia meet Saturday at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta and I caught a bit of grief today at work for not wearing a BSU shirt. I gave my Dad one, but I did not buy one for myself. The administrator was wearing a long sleeved BSU t-shirt with matching BSU polartec vest. Guess I need a BSU shirt for gamedays.

Turns out Idaho has the second worst rural roads and Boise has the second best safe drivers,

What’s wrong with our roads? Idaho has the second-highest percentage of major rural pavement in poor condition, behind Vermont, says TRIP, a Washington, D.C., nonprofit that supports road and bridge construction.

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/09/02/1782829/national-reports-pan-our-roads.html#storylink=misearch#ixzz1Wr3E3mOL

Allstate Insurance Co. rated Boise second in the nation for safest drivers, behind only Fort Collins, Colo. The average Boise driver will have a collision once every 13.4 years, compared to the national average of every 10 years. Freeautoinsurancequotes.org showed Boise third-safest, with drivers 22.3 percent less likely to get into an accident.

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/09/02/1782829/national-reports-pan-our-roads.html#storylink=misearch#ixzz1Wr3Bjm4i

My prediction did not come true today, as far as I know, but maybe next week. It was a tough week and I distracted myself with a storage project that included moving boxes. I made labels and entered information on spreadsheets according to specific rules for 83 boxes and it took all week. I don't know what I will do next week, but at least it is only four days.

A week ago I was in Hyde Park and when I got into my car it was covered with small yellow flower or seed dust and I figured allergy season is upon us, but I did not start feeling it until today.

No comments:

Post a Comment