Monday, September 5, 2011

Hot Air Balloons and Karma

Sunday morning I finished The Source and felt sad like I do at the end of a great book, like a good friend had just moved away. The feeling was even worse because the book cannot have a satisfying ending. I understand the appearance of the Jewish religion that ended the practices of human sacrifice and introduced ideas about a moral society, and I understand the idea of Christianity making access to a relationship with God available to everyone, but I do not understand the Muslim difference. It seems to me that all three religions have the same message, but are just associated with a different book and two with different men.

Saturday morning I went out and looked for the hot air balloons, but at 10 am I was too late, so Sunday morning I got up early and was at the park by 7:30,








The park and the rim overlooking the park were both packed with cars and people, at least Boise's version of packed, and there was a photographer on top of a ladder on the Rim with his camera, ruining most of everyone else's opportunity for a picture without him in it. I have no desire to go up in a hot air balloon, but I am amazed at how they move around, some fast, some slow, and how beautiful they are against that blue sky.

Later I went out on more of my futile search for a cat scratcher/tree and saw that Borders was having a going out of business sale. I was too late for anything I already wanted, but still bought 3 books. The almost empty store seemed really sad to me. One of my favorite things to do is spend several hours browsing in a bookstore and I wondered if that will soon be something I would tell my grandchildren about and they would have no idea what that is.

It feels like Indian summer here. Ever wonder about the source of the expression "Indian summer"? It is not complimentary to Indians. It is warm, clear, and really dry. There are still some fires going on, but not as many as there were during the summer storms. I guess lightning is hazardous here during the summer and lightning likes haystacks. I am looking forward to no Santa Anna winds and fall that only smells like smoke because people are burning leaves.

Because I could not identify what is inside the Idaho Spud candy bars that Mary Kay gave me, I asked a few of my friends. They all looked at me as if I just let off a loud fart. Hey Idahoans, this is part of your heritage! My guess it is some cross between marshmallow and nougat.

Spit has recovered from Cruiser's scratch and is back to pestering me during the Rites. Someone told me that animals do not bother you while you are meditating, but he must have meant wild animals. Spit always bothers me while I'm meditating, she sees it as an opportunity for attention while I am still. I have trouble with the back bend Rite, because I am anatomically incorrect for it, arms too short and bubble butt in the way, but Spit likes to run around underneath me during the bend, so when I come down she gets squished. After a few squishes she gets up on the bed and watches me and purrs like a muscle car.

I am very disappointed that Idaho Power installed a smart meter on my house without asking me. There was nothing wrong with the old meter. Not only are there health risks associated with smart meters, but there is a privacy issue. Smart meters collect a whole lot of data, where is it going and how is it being used? A smart meter can tell someone when I'm home and when I'm not. Sounds like big brother. Idaho Power claims their smart meters are different,

We are aware some smart meter deployments in other states have raised questions about potential hazards related to wireless transmissions from AMI meters. The technology we are deploying in Idaho is fundamentally different from the technologies in question. The smart meters being deployed in Idaho Power’s service territory do not transmit wirelessly; they use the 60 Hz power line to communicate.

Not sure I believe them.

In 2009, the U.S. Department of Energy solicited applications for Smart Grid stimulus funding. Idaho Power responded and proposed to complete 12 projects within three years. In March 2010 company representatives signed a contract for a $47 million federal grant, which matched Idaho Power’s $47 million investment in smart meters. All projects must be completed by the April 1, 2013 deadline.

So, $47 million to replace something that doesn't need replacing for minimal benefits and that will replace the job of every meter reader? I will give Idaho a break on trying to address safety concerns, but not for accepting Federal money. With Federal money comes Federal control and Idaho becomes less of what I wanted when I moved here.

I am supposed to be working on a painting that Mary Kay asked for this weekend, but I am stalling. Yesterday I gathered reference, but today I really need to put brush to paper, just a few strokes would be enough to get me over the procrastination hurdle. It is simple and should not take long, but no one understands how difficult it can be to paint simple. It takes planning, precise editing, one wrong stroke and you are out, start over.

From The Source,

Akiba said, "Everything in life is given against a pledge, and a net is cast over all the living; the shop is open, the shopkeeper extends credit, the ledger is open before you, the hand writes, and whoever wishes to borrow may come and borrow; but the collectors make their rounds continually and exact payment from every man, with his consent or without."

1 comment:

  1. Hello Shelly, this is Kevin writing from Idaho Power. I found your blog post and just wanted to check in.

    First, those are some beautiful pictures you took of the balloons.

    Second, nobody really knows what’s in those Idaho Spud candy bars. ;-)

    Third, I’d like to try and allay your misgivings on the new smart meters. You’ve certainly done your research and I’m glad you pointed out that our meters are the “wired” type, rather than wireless. Hopefully this will alleviate some of your concerns regarding health issues.

    As for the data the meters collect, that’s beneficial to us and to you as well. For Idaho Power, the data helps us to better identify outages and, subsequently, get your power back on faster.

    For you, the meters let you track your energy use by day and even by the hour. As an Idaho Power customer myself, I can honestly say this has already helped me. I noticed a big spike in my energy use on Saturdays; that’s laundry day and it was pretty clear that the dryer was causing that spike. To get our usage down, we started taking the clothes outside and line-drying them. Sure enough, we could see our usage (and our bill) go down! Here’s a link to your energy monitoring tool, if you’re interested: https://www.idahopower.com/registration/register.cfm.

    Shelly, you feel free to write me personally if you want to talk further. It would be my pleasure to try and clear up your concerns, if possible. Best --Idaho Power/Kevin

    ReplyDelete