Sunday, September 25, 2011

Can you eat too many raspberries?

For four days my life seemed about feeding cats. Thursday and Friday Cookster and Pierre had to stay inside and Saturday and Sunday they were just out during the day, which gave my cats some peace. I swear Cruiser and Spit enjoy prowling the yard so much on Saturdays that on Sunday they have to sleep it off. Sarah and Joe should be back tonight.

Saturday morning I went over to Sarah and Joe's to feed their cats and I brought my Tupperware, which I filled with raspberries. I do not think there is a better way to start your day than with picking raspberries on a sunny Saturday morning, at least if you are by yourself. I picked the last round tonight and you would think there would be nothing left, but the giant bush is still loaded. Sarah and Joe gave me a gift certificate to the Boise Co-op for feeding their cats, but I would have done it for the raspberries.

This weekend was the last of summer, the clouds rolled in this afternoon and we are getting some rain, which is causing the first leaves to fall. It was too hot most of the weekend to do my fall gardening chores, but I did get another coat of varnish on the patio chairs and table. I have to do this chore in Idaho where we have real weather, even though I store the chairs for winter.

I finished Elmore Leonard's Killshot, which was super. This is my first Elmore Leonard book, but I loved how he wrote all of the characters, especially the main woman character. I'm giving away the end, but the wife finally shoots the bad guy dead in her house and the husband comes home and she meets him on the porch and listens to him tell her about his day without insisting on telling him first all about how she killed this guy that chased them through most of the book. I loved that.

Then I started Karl Marlantes' Matterhorn, but I seem to be having some problems concentrating and I could not keep the characters straight, so I stopped and picked up something easier, Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. I figured it would be an easy read, and it is, but right off the bat he talks about Lynne McTaggert, who I saw talk a few months ago here in Boise. That was a bit weird.

The book talks about ancient texts and mysticism and protectors of the Ancient Mysteries, but why are they all men? One of the main characters is a woman scientist working in Noetic science (a multidisciplinary field that brings objective scientific tools and techniques together with subjective inner knowing to study the full range of human experiences). She's working in a lab sealed off from all outside energy interference and the bad guy is on his way. A woman studying subjective inner knowing, and a supposed expert in her field, would just know the bad guy was coming! She would be outta there in a flash, or if she was in an Elmore Leonard book, she would have shotgun ready!

It was not a productive weekend and all I feel I got done was varnishing those chairs. I am almost finished with the last batch of movies Dad sent, when I'm done I might give up TV and cable again, can I get through a Boise winter without TV? I'm tired of my TV taking up half of the living room.

I have almost seven drawings transferred to watercolor paper. Pretty soon I am going to have to get over that hurdle of putting brush to paper, but I guess not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment