Friday, July 22, 2011

"Trouble"

Today started with one of those pink and blue sunrises that make me wish I lived somewhere in Idaho with a better view. It has cooled off and I am glad not to be part of the country-wide heat wave, although we are supposed to back to 100 degrees here by Sunday.

My boss was out today and I went into her boss's office to have her sign something this morning and she affectionately called me "Trouble". I used to call my daughter Trouble in the same way and it was a weird moment. I am in charge of the temperature and our office has 15 different thermostats. It seems like a different AC unit is broken every week and I have been working on the AC techs. We pay the landlord and the landlord pays the AC company and we have a certain amount of money to spend on AC repair built in to the rent and if we go over, we have to pay more. This inspired a lack of accountability on the part of the AC tech, who seemed to want to come and go as he pleased with his blank check. This week we had a confrontation in the lobby, which seemed to have changed the tech guy's attitude and happened to be within earshot of my boss's boss, thus the nickname. The current tech guy also happens to be 6'4" and I am almost 5'2", which adds some humor to whole idea of me initiating a confrontation.

I left work early to take my paintings to Craters and Freighters and have them shipped to the Idaho Paints Idaho show. Craters and Freighters is owned by a guy from Orange County and he has another guy who mostly does the estimates. They both seem young to me, but everyone under 40 seems young to me now. I called for an estimate and got one for a shipment weighing 100 pounds. I called back and said it was more like 5 pounds. Then I got an estimate for a shipment weighing 50 pounds ($130). I can mumble sometimes, especially in a phone message, but 100 pounds? I gave up and said I will bring them in and you can weigh them and revise the estimate if needed. The estimator wasn't there this afternoon, but the owner was, and he estimated the two paintings weighed about 5 pounds and revised the estimate to half of what it was at 50 ($60).

The owner said he is amazed at the crappy way artists ship their work, they spend weeks on a piece and then ship it in a flimsy box as if it has no value. He mostly ships taxidermy stuff, like deer heads, makes sense for Idaho. I told him the box needs my return address so they can ship it back and he looked at me and told me to change my thinking. They will both sell and will not need to ship back. I told him I was going to go out to the awards reception in Idaho Falls and then over to see the Grand Tetons, which are only an hour and a half from Idaho Falls, and he said yea, be sure to go and pick up your awards in person. Geez, one of those positive attitude guys, but I like that picture, go to Idaho Falls, win some awards, go over to the Grand Tetons and look in awe at one of the most beautiful places in the world, and then walk around Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

One thing about baking your own bread, store bought bread doesn't taste good anymore, it takes like air, especially the loaves that are under $5, which isn't many nowadays. I baked bread last weekend, even though it was way too hot, but I did not mow the lawn. It cooled off enough for me to mow it on Wednesday, which I did to the sound of my neighbor on the other side of Sarah and Joe playing acoustic guitar. He's pretty good.

I picked two strawberries and ate them, I figure I have about 10 more left that will grow on my 6 plants. I picked my first cucumber with gloves and scrubbed off the prickles, which wasn't hard. When I picked the cucumber, I noticed my first green pepper,


And my one blueberry,


Sarah's blueberry has blueberries for the first time, probably because of the blueberry friends I planted, but it looks like I am only going to get one this year.

I am set up to paint this weekend and maybe I will finally get to the next enlightenment topic, which I seem to be avoiding for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment