Saturday, July 10, 2010

Where does the day go?

Dad and I are eating three square meals a day and I am still so hungry by 5 pm that I have to join Dad in his cheese and crackers pre-dinner snack. Must be all that fresh air. Either Dad cooks even though he's single, or there is something about cooking for more than one that is more motivating. Sometimes he even makes Bruschetta, I mean he cuts up fresh basil, drizzles olive oil and everything. We went on one long walk, but really the only exercise I'm getting is walking back and forth between the three buildings. (And I do a whole lot of this, usually looking for my glasses.) Even so, I am losing weight. Maybe it's that Dad has no treats and his idea of dessert is now a spoon full of peanut butter with honey on it. I cleaned out the refrigerator this morning, the oldest expiration date I found was 1989.

A few days ago I started cleaning out Dad's studio and made a trash bag of old advertising reference. Dad went to the dump yesterday and before he did he checked the bag and one of his old wrestling pictures (Dad was a wrestler in High School) was in it, so then he had to go through the whole bag. Now I've lost some of my credibility as an editor. I don't really blame him, I found some old Champion Papers promotional pieces from the 60's with classic graphic design among the advertising reference and I could not throw them away either.

I received Cobra information to continue my health insurance, only $646.17 per month! What a joke. When I received my last check from work, it included vacation payout which raised the taxes, the government took almost 1/3! Another joke.

Finished this large painting that was almost done (you may have seen the smaller one, which Mark, the father of the subject, now has) and I brought with me:



And this study (5" x 7") of his brother:



I was not that happy with the study, so I moved on to another one. I am now concentrating on studies or 5" x 7"s.

Where does the day go? I have been here more than a week. Although Boise is still the destination, I am wondering if that is the point of the adventure. I am, for now, really enjoying getting to know my Dad, and remembering two versions of the same direction from two friends, stay open.

No comments:

Post a Comment