Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Name that Bird

These gorgeous birds come around all the time and I finally got a picture of them,




They are shiny with a rainbow of color from head to toe.

My neighbor was wondering why her cat, Pierre, keeps sitting and staring at the fence. I told her it is because he is having a stare-down with Spit. Here is Spit on her side,


Cruiser is less tolerant and has tried to dig a hole under the fence at that spot. He also sticks his whole arm through that knothole as if Pierre is going to just sit there and let Cruiser scratch him.

The flowering pear are all in bloom here and I think that is a variety of magnolia in the background,


This is week 9 of The Artist's Way. I have to read all the morning pages I wrote since last December. The Artist's Way is set up to be done one chapter per week, but we are meeting twice a month. That means more than twice as many days of morning pages and reading them is taking a long time and is super boring. Many of the previous chapters talk about creative u-turns and I have two really terrible ones. Two times where I ventured out as my creative self, had a devastating experience, turned around, and tried to bury myself in something I decided was safe. (Which is sounding too much like the last few months.) One of the tasks in week 9 asks me if anything from those u-turns can be salvaged.

Along with the idea that I did not get those last three jobs because I needed some information from the experience to be ready for that right job, I'm wondering if it was also a message, you are going the wrong way! I came here with such optimism and then everything seemed like it came to a halt in December. Recently I was feeling like I was headed for another u-turn, so I asked myself, what can be salvaged? What am I resisting that one of those jobs would have helped me resist?

So, yesterday, I went to Ronald McDonald House and talked to the receptionist about my idea for portraits of children and left some cards. I wanted them to commission me to do some portraits of their success stories, either for the parents or for display in the house. One of the SCORE counselors shot the idea down last Fall and I shelved it. Doing the commission for Mary Jo made me fired up about it again. The director of Ronald McDonald House called me back today while she was looking at my website. She loved my work, asked me what I was thinking of doing, and she got fired up, too.

I called the Department of Labor guy and set up an appointment with him to look at my performance reviews and talk about what to do about references. This morning I went to the Department of Labor job club in Meridian. (Boise, Meridian, and Eagle are like Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, and Newbury Park in proximity and size, except that Boise and Meridian are two out of the three largest cities in Idaho.) One of the people that I interviewed with in the one interview for two jobs recommended the job club in Meridian. (Funny, her recommendation made me think I wasn't getting the job.) There is another job club in Boise on Friday and I think I will go. Then I bought a fat book on Internet Marketing.

It is easier to stay focused and calm when you are busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment