Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cliffhanger

This is the very high Boise River about a mile from my house,




There are usually fishermen at this spot, they stand in the middle of the river on that ridge that you can now barely see, but no fishermen today.

United Water Idaho’s flushing program begins April 11. Every spring, Idaho Water will be flushing the mains throughout Boise to clear any iron and manganese buildup. These will not affect your health, but make the water unclear. After living in So Cal with constant drought, it is funny to me all the things Idaho does because they have so much water.

There are peregrine falcons that use a nest box on the 14th floor of One Capital Center in Boise. At the Bird of Prey museum you can see them on a webcam. They had their first egg last Thursday and their second on Saturday. You can watch, too,

http://www.peregrinefund.org/falconcam/

When I was here at the end of last May, I watched mom leave and dad come in to take her place. The chicks hatched, but their parents would not allow them to walk around yet, and dad came in, sat on them, and made sure he tucked the chicks underneath him. Dad came in to help, but even a falcon can convey a begrudging attitude on webcam.

I feel like my two month bailout just allowed me to go through an 11th hour panic again. I stayed up to late Sunday night watching "The Killing" and then I could not sleep at all Monday night. By Tuesday morning I was a tired, stressed mess and could not get myself to do much. I called one potential employer and left a message asking for status and tried to sound really willing instead of really desperate. They called back later and said there seems to be an issue with my work references and they asked for copies of my reviews. I dropped those off Tuesday afternoon. That they asked for copies of my reviews is a hopeful sign, but I am having a really hard time not imagining what may be going on behind the scenes against me that is out of my control.

There is a Zen Buddhist story that to me is the equivalent of the wheelbarrow story,

A man was walking across a field when he saw a tiger. Fearing for his life, the man fled, but the tiger gave chase. The man reached the edge of a cliff, and just as he thought the tiger would get him, he spotted a vine growing over the edge of the cliff. Grabbing on to it, he swung himself over the edge to safety.

The tiger came to the edge and snarled at him from above. While precariously perched like this, the man saw another tiger growling at him from below. Trembling, he held on to the thin vine that was keeping him from being dinner for the tigers. What could be worse than this, he wondered.

Just then, two mice scampered out and began gnawing at the vine. As they chewed and the man pondered over his fate, he saw a juicy, red strawberry on a ledge next to him. Grasping the vine with one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other. Ah, how sweet it tasted!

By now I am having a hard time even functioning, so in keeping with the idea of enjoying the strawberry, I walked around and took pictures of Boise's spring flowers,





The red tulips were blooming next to another one of Boise's many empty houses.

Charlotte Joko Beck would tell me that the opposite of injustice is not justice, but compassion. (Nothing Special, Living Zen) She would also tell me to notice my thoughts and experience my bodily contractions, which would illuminate my bottleneck of fear. By noticing and experiencing the bottleneck of fear, I can see that the bottleneck of fear is an illusion, and I do not need to struggle against an illusion. (Everyday Zen) She would call what I am experiencing today an opportunity to move through the bottleneck of fear and closer to my true self. If I said it is too hard, she would ask me if I really had any other choice.

If I hear about that job today, I will post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment