Wednesday, June 30, 2010

To Mom's and to Storage

Cats went to Mom's Monday morning. Mom's house is dog-free until Wednesday afternoon. Thanks Mom! Finished packing at 7 pm on Monday night and was ready for the movers at 8:30 am on Tuesday. Packing for a long distance move when my stuff will be in storage for a month was hard.

Tuesday was very stressful and started first thing with one mover verbally abusing the other inside the truck echoing through the whole neighborhood. I mean a steady stream of profane abuse at the other mover for 5 minutes at 8:30 in the morning. I thought this was a very bad start and 15 minutes later the abuser was gone and replacement already there. It took 5 hours to move me into storage in Simi and there were several times that I wanted to stop and cry and thought, what have I done and this is too hard to do by myself, but in the end the movers thought I looked very serene and that I am a good packer. I should be, I've had a lot of practice. One of the movers took my mattress off my hands in lieu of a tip.

We arrived at the storage unit and the office was closed and it took 15 minutes to track someone down and then when the guy showed me the unit I had the movers start unpacking and left to sign the contract. This got the office guy in trouble with his boss, who tried to tell me a story about the cost of getting people out of storage, and I just showed him the hand and let him know that I did not give the office guy any choice and he cost me 15 minutes of paying movers to stand around and it wasn't the office guy's fault and he got nicer.

Then I went back and cleaned the apartment and freaked out that I have too much stuff left over and not all of it is going to fit in the Prius and I am missing my SUV. I had to make a few trips to Mom's with stuff and gave away most of my plants. Leftover stuff that does not fit on the first trip to Dad's is under Mom's exra bed.

After several days of not sleeping well and constant packing and moving, I was ready for my Tuesday night women's coffee night. This will be my last one for a while, but I just really knew I would see most of them again and they will always be part of my life, if not in presence, then in spirit.

Now I am off with the cats and a Prius full of stuff to Dad's near Paso Robles and the Central Coast. Cats liked Mom's, and I am sure they will like Dad's, but they are not going to like the 3 hour car ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment