Monday, February 28, 2011

Academy Awards and Resumes

When I got up on Sunday morning, Mr. Boyfriend was laying on the living room floor. Poor Mr. Boyfriend has now been relegated to cat toy. He's shrunk down to his original size, but has lost his protective coating, so now he is squishy sponge. I put him back on the windowsill, but Spit nabbed him and was playing with him again this evening, so he's Spit's boyfriend now and she can be in charge of where he stays.

Every time we made rice, Frank used to tease me about burning the rice. I never once burned the rice, so I was pretty indignant about it. He must have tuned in to some inherent tendency, though, because I really do have an issue with putting pots on the stove and walking away and forgetting about them. I usually set the timer or stay in the kitchen, but lately I've been under so much financial stress that I'm even more absent minded. Saturday I set water to boil and then decided to finish vacuuming. Oops. Fortunately it was just boiling water that boiled down to the last inch, but I got the message to be more careful.

I'm still pondering that study and I am close to finishing the other painting, but I took a break last night and watched the Academy Awards. I heard a lot about people living their dreams (and dream jobs) who are now being recognized for their work. (I am going to count watching the awards as my Artist's Way artist's date, since it was all about artist's dreams.) I liked Cate Blanchett's dress, but what was that acid yellow doing on her pink dress? My favorite dress was award winner Melissa Leo's. The hosts were terrible. They should not have done a tribute to their prior host, Bob Hope, it just made the current hosts look even worse. My favorite host was Johnny Carson, but I am a bit too young to remember Bob Hope.

Today I went to Idaho's Department of Labor for a resume writing workshop. Idaho still has Department of Labor offices, unlike California that closed all of theirs. They had people you could talk to and a room full of people using computers, and even printers! The workshop was excellent and another thing I wish I'd done months ago. I talked to the presenter afterward about my resume and have some resume reworking to do. I can even send it to him once I fix it and he will edit it again. He talked a bit about the scanning process most employers use on your resume now, and gave some tips on how to get through it. (He also said some people are messing with it now by including keywords at the bottom of their resume in white type. The type gets picked up on the scan, but doesn't print when they print your resume. Why did this resume make it through the scanner?!) But in the end, he said 75% of jobs are found through networking.

I talked to the girl next to me while I was waiting for my personal resume review and she gave me a long list of places to try and took one of my studio cards. We were the only people in the room that got interviews during our current job search, and we both did not get the job because they promoted someone internally. She does medical billing and coding, I thought those jobs were abundant, but I guess not. In the end the best thing about the workshop was that it changed my attitude. I was feeling angry and wasn't even going to go, but I felt optimistic when I left.

Tomorrow is another appointment with another employment agency (and probably another set of tests!) and some resume revisions. Tomorrow is the 1st of March and it is just about a year since I decided to leave California.

No comments:

Post a Comment