Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snow Report

When I got up this morning at 6:30 am, there was no snow on the ground and it was not snowing. By the time I left for work (5 minutes early) at 7:40, it was snowing and there was close to an inch on the ground. I picked a different route to work, that included only right turns and a cut through a long parking lot instead of that risky left turn from the median. I arrived safely at work and on time, unlike most of the rest of the office. It was a scarey drive even at a very slow pace and I kept having to remind myself to breathe. By 10 am I would say there was 4 inches of snow on the ground.

Tonight I was supposed to get my haircut, but I called my hairdresser in the morning to tell her I might not make it. She was at home because most of her appointments already cancelled. I thought I might be being a wimpy girl from So Cal, unwilling to brave the snow to keep an appointment, but was relieved that plenty of hardened Idahoans didn't want to either.

From KTVB.com,

"Ada County dispatchers reported 106 crashes between 6 a.m. and 3 p.m. Wednesday. Five of those crashes left people injured. There were also 75 slide-offs and 45 stalled vehicles.

Meanwhile, over in Canyon County, there were 33 accidents Wednesday.

"It was just an inch of snow, some ice, you couldn't brake hardly at all," said Steven Johnson who slid off I-84 in Caldwell.

Johnson hit his brakes to try to avoid an accident, lost control, slid off the highway, down the embankment, through a fence, and into a field.

He talked about his thoughts as it happened, "I hope I don't flip. I hope I stay upright. I hope that fence doesn't hit me too hard."

Johnson didn't flip and says he's thankful, as this accident could've been much worse on what was a day of accidents."

At lunch I went for a walk over to Starbucks in the snow. This was fun, even though on the way home the snow was getting wet and blowing right in my face. Back at work I felt damp and rumpled with melting make-up and stringy hair for the rest of the day and I am not sure I will try that again.

By afternoon it started raining and my drive home was in heavy slush. Tonight we might have freezing rain and my commute tomorrow may be even worse than today's. We are supposed to warm up for the rest of the week and have more rain and I am afraid most of the snow will wash away before I get a picture in the sunlight.

When I got home I decided not to try to plow through the fresh snow down the alley to get to my garage. That car that likes to park parallel to their garage door was there, which I found irritating, since for sure I was not going to risk sliding into it, so I parked in front. I hope my car is not covered with ice and snow in the morning. I figure 6 inches of snow fell in my backyard, although it is hard to tell since it rained on the snow that fell. My neighbor did shovel my walkway for me, that was nice.



The cats have been still going out for their roll around on the patio, although they are brief, since it is cold, but this morning they took one look at all that white stuff and said no way. They are both, I mean both, now sitting on the computer table watching me type.

Last Monday I took an alternative late Christmas card picture, since I may not get one in any snow. My brother Dave gave me the ridiculous hat for Christmas and I told him I would take a picture of myself in it anyway,

No comments:

Post a Comment