Sunday, January 15, 2012

Free TV

The cats slept on either side of me last night, pinning me under the covers. We woke up at 7 am this morning, all in the exact same spot. I think we are all tired of winter. I do not like January anywhere, I am tired and have no motivation or energy, and still no snow. No snow in the valley is not that unusual, but no snow on the mountains is. Bogus Basin is still not open and if they cannot open by January 27th, they will not open this season at all. No snow has been great for the golf courses, though, they had a record year.

The spinning top tried to throw me under the bus last week and I am still amazed at her dysfunction. We have this mailing list, which some moron excuse for a programer created from our payee database and forgot the zip codes, so we each have 1500 vendors we have to look up and add zip codes. I finished mine Monday, so we printed the letters and I started folding mine and putting them in envelopes. While I do this I can watch the back of the spinning top. She's doing whatever she can not to look up those zip codes and she spent one morning researching how I received something wrong.

A large amount of paper towels disappeared and it turned out that the spinning top said she inventoried them, but then she had to admit that she did not, and distracted anyone from disciplining her (hey, it's called lying) by approaching the edge of a nervous breakdown. Before I went on vacation we received some paper towels and I signed for them and put them away. She decided we did not really receive what I signed for and created a few hours of drama before talking to my boss and I about it. Too bad my boss received and stored the darn things with me.

So, I am seething with resentment, trying to tell myself that nothing I do at work is important, so stuffing envelopes is not beneath me, degrading, watching the top continue to not do any kind of work, especially not look up zip codes, and I slashed my finger on the edge of the flap of an envelope. Those are sharp! It was bleeding like mad and I ran to the emergency kit, where one of the managers doctored me up. Let that be a lesson, seething resentment and stuffing envelopes do not mix.

That the top thought that creating some drama around me would deflect from her own lie was amazing to me. Even though she was unsuccessful, she must have been in her own mind, since the rest of the day and the following day she was euphoric. Scarey stuff, nice to know she is worse than just hapless.

Couldn't finish Albert Nobbs, once I realized it was a lesbian movie and that all men were portrayed badly, hated Tree of Life, pretentious, egocentric crap that gives "arty" a bad name, enjoyed TinTin, which I thought was in the spirit of Indiana Jones and the 3D was so good I kept forgetting it wasn't real, enjoyed Hugo, thought the sets and the cinematography were super and loved the story, and I thought The Artist was a great idea, superbly done, but boring to watch.

Free TV is funny, it includes the exact same shows that were on TV in the 1970's before cable, Rockford Files, Mary Tyler Moore, The Brady Bunch, even some of the ones that were reruns even then, like The Rifleman. I loved Chuck Conners, he was my childhood example of what men should be like, he was always fair, he was a great dad, he would not use that rifle unless he had to, but if he had to he was really good at it. Funny that The Rifleman's wife died and he never had a girlfriend. I started watching Masterpiece Theater's Downton Abbey, which I really enjoy. It is basically a soap opera set in an English manor and this season World War I started. I spent the first few episodes trying to figure out who one of the actresses was, it was Elizabeth McGovern. I can't remember the last time I've seen her in anything since Ragtime. Otherwise I can watch the local news, but free TV isn't much, good thing it is free.

Tomorrow I have the day off, so I am trying to get in some good painting time this weekend. Otherwise, I want January to be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment