Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Dragon Year

Mom sent a TV for my birthday and it came early. It came at the beginning of two weeks of me feeling like my ducks just will not get in a row and my boss reminded me it is a Dragon year. Even the Farmer's Almanac describes the weather prediction for February, March, and April in the Northwest as unsettled.

The UPS man delivered the TV like he was Santa, "your TV is here!". I knew it was coming, but I still had that giant TV in the living room and I can't set up the new TV until I get rid of the old one. I tried Craig's List, starting with trying to sell it and then trying to give it away. I tried getting the motor-cycle riding Karaoke singing used electronics store owner to take it. I called the city trash collector. No one will take it. The hazardous waste pick up guy that the city gave me, that I have to pay to pick it up, is on vacation for a week. After a week of trying I could not stand it and I bought a furniture dolly and had my neighbor help me move it into the garage. Out of sight, out of mind.

A few days before the TV arrived, the State called me for an interview with the Tax Commission for the same job I had, but permanent. I scheduled the interview and a few days later my current job offered me a permanent position. They were unsure starting when, and they are also hiring three adjudicators, probably starting at the end of April. The adjudicator position is the one I applied for in December 2010, got a perfect score, and then they cancelled the list. After two meetings about me changing from temporary to permanent, the Administrator is talking to me like I am already and adjudicator. So, I cancelled the interview and since then someone else with the State also called me for an interview, that I got to turn down.

Last Monday I started as a permanent State employee, which is a huge relief. Nothing in life is really permanent or secure, but I feel more valued and less tenuous. The application for adjudicator should come out at the beginning of April, then the interview, then the training starts April 30, so I have more than a month of sitting in a job I probably will not be doing for more than a few weeks and trying to care with one foot out the door.

Last weekend I went out and bought a stand for the new TV from a restyled furniture store. It took two trips to that store and lots of comparison shopping before I could convince myself that it was alright for me to buy myself something I do not really need and then I came home and watched my neighbor move out as I was setting up the new TV. My neighbor Kurt in the tiny house is a really difficult person to talk to, but turns out his house was foreclosed and sold in a short sale for $62K. It is hard to believe that my house sold in the same circumstances four years ago and no matter what anyone tries to say, the economy is not better. I will not miss Kurt, except he was really quiet, but I will miss his dog.


With my neighbor moving out, the new TV and stand felt frivolous, but my living room is now twice as big and HD is pretty nice,


Funny that my picture includes some getting out of debt show.

So, my ducks do not exactly feel like they are in a row, but at least one is shoved in the garage.

The Idaho Watercolor Society Capitol Building show was in February and ended last weekend. I had to host for two hours, which turned out to be on the day Occupy Boise new rules went into effect and protesters are no longer allowed to spend the night at their camp at the old Ada County Courthouse. A short angry old man came up and asked me while I was working my two hours of hosting the show where the "Occupy Boise" meeting was. I had no idea, which I told him twice, and he shoved past me making me get out of the way in an uncrowded room. If Communists believe in "to each according to his need", they should try handing out some manners.

This is in great contrast to the banking lobbyist who bought my painting that was in the show. I entered "Eagle Horses", which the show coordinator told me sold on Tuesday night and I delivered on Wednesday. The banker has horses and said the painting made her happy.

I walked around my house Tuesday night feeling really happy and saying, this is so cool! Except for my commission work, I've never sold a painting. This is the very first time someone saw my work in a show or gallery and bought it. Selling something because it made someone happy makes the feeling even better.


Last Sunday it was sunny and warm and the park was so crowded I thought there was an event. Monday night it snowed. Yesterday it warmed up again and I think spring started for good. The trees have started to bud and the tulips are coming up. The ground is unfrozen enough for Cruiser to resume his digging. It has been an unsettled, but really good few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment