Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Easy Being Green, It Is Not

Easy Being Green, It Is Not


Peter de Sève made this wonderful illustration of Kermit the Frog and Yoda discussing what it means to be green while fishing at a Dagobah swamp.
(Posted by Scott Beale http://laughingsquid.com/easy-being-green-it-is-not/)

I confess I did something I swore I would never do again, I bought a cheap garden hose. Never buy a cheap garden hose. They get a kink in them and it never comes out. The cheap hose was $10, the real hose was $40, $40 would have been worth it. I figured that hose season is short here and it wouldn't matter and I was wrong, at least about the not mattering part.

The green peppers are more forgiving than the cucumbers. They grow slow and leave you a long time to pick them, unlike the cucumbers that get huge overnight. How do they harvest baby cucumbers for baby pickles? Someone must sit there watching them sprout. I picked the last three strawberries, which were the best, and pulled out two of the plants to make room for the cucumber. There were still flowers on some of the strawberries, so I am giving them some more time. The cucumber is still at it and the green peppers are covered with peppers of various sizes. Sarah's raspberries are turning pink and her plants are huge, I know there will be plenty of raspberries to give away.

Yesterday I sat on the patio of Goodies with three of my friends, I had iced coffee and they had ice cream. Mary Kay brought me two Spudnuts. Spudnuts are made right here in Boise. It was hot yesterday and Mary Kay, the nurse, had them preserved with an ice pack from work. I put them in the freezer because I thought they were ice cream, but I ate one tonight and I think they are marshmallow. Marshmallow covered in chocolate and then rolled in coconut, it was pretty good, although I like coconut. Sitting out from 6 to 7:30 pm I got really sunburned. It seems late in the day to be getting sunburned, but the light is brighter here.

One of my friends couldn't make it, so we are making plans to go back. I'm trying to spend as much time sitting on patios as I can while I can. Next time I think I will have ice cream and I will take pictures of the inside of Goodies and it's soda fountain and shelves of every candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment